Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-level interaction with fixed reference category - specification and random term structure

Dear all

I am hoping you may share your advice with me on multi-level interactions.

I am interested in the differences across 2 main groups, G1 and G2.
    G2 consists of 100 sub-categories.
    The questions I seek to address are
    1) whether there are differences across G1 and G2 in predicting a (dichotomous) outcome DV
    2) whether a (continuous) predictor at the G2-subcategory level alters the differences between G2 and G1 in predicting the DV.

Because G1 is only one group I cannot estimate a standard interaction model (group*predictor) as far as I can tell. To still shed some light on the issue, I manually create the product of G2 * predictor = G2_predictor and, I then run the model:
    Code:
    logit DV $controls G2 G2_predictor
    • Does this make sense?
    Given that the predictor only varies at the G2-group-detail level, I seek to account for nesting effects by using multi-level modelling. I can use a group identifier which pools G1 and G2, such that there are 50 G2 groups, 1 G1 group, hence 51 groups in total.
    Code:
    melogit DV $controls G2 G2_predictor || Group12identifer
    What concerns me is that this assigns G1 to the same hierarchical level as G2 detail.
    Would it make sense to introduce an artificial level such that
    Code:
    melogit DV $controls G2 G2_predictor || G2:  || Group12identifer
    Probably not because the G2 dummy is already a fixed part of the model and there are just two groups anyways. But pooling G1 and G2 in Group12identifer doesn't seem correct either.
    • What would you recommend?
    Thank you very much already in advance!
    Last edited by Johannes Muller; 08 Nov 2019, 08:33. Reason: interaction
Working...
X