No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foreach, loops

Hi

I want to run the below code, but can't get it right.
    As I have a panel data with many IDs and months. I want to run the univariate Garch model as "arch X, arch(1/1) garch(1/1)", but can't get the estimation as per ID, in the below loop. X is the only variable that I am considering.

program define one_id
    arch X, arch(1/1) garch(1/1)
    foreach x in X {
    gen coeff_`x' = _b[`x']
    gen t_`x' = coeff_`x'/se_`x'
    gen p_`x' = 2*t(e(df_r), -abs( t_`x'))
    }
    gen constant_term = _b[_cons]
    predict V
    predict resid, resid
    exit
    end
    runby one_id,by(FI) status
    Can someone help how to modify the above code to suit my requirements?
    Last edited by Aamina Khurraa; 06 Nov 2019, 11:08.

Hi Aamina,

where have you defined X?
    Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver

Comment

The code includes a loop over one item and as such can be simplified down to

Code:
      program define one_id
          arch X, arch(1/1) garch(1/1)
          gen coeff_X = _b[X]
          gen t_X = coeff_X/se_X
          gen p_X = 2*t(e(df_r), -abs(t_X))
          gen constant_term = _b[_cons]
          predict V
          predict resid, resid
      end

runby one_id, by(FI) status
      and what hits me first is that se_X is never defined before it is used.

Comment

Thanks Nick Cox

I have tried this bit of a hint, but again in vain. This is not picking the foreach syntax and hence errors in all groups (IDs). I have also incorporated se_x. I am not sure if GARCH models are compatible with foreach loops, otherwise I can't think of any solution for the panel data.

The code:
        "arch X, arch(1/1) garch(1/1)" however, does work for the entire panel data, if not for individual IDs.

Comment

The tsset setting that makes arch for the whole dataset possible at all won't be compatible necessarily with whatever else you need.

Comment

Since Nick mentioned -tsset-, I should point out that -runby- does not preserve -xtset- or -tsset- settings. So if your program uses a command that requires the data to be -xtset- or -tsset- (as, I believe, -garch- and -arch- do), you have to do the -xtset- or -tsset- inside the program before you call those commands.

Comment

So could we find a way to do these individual garch estimations for a panel of say 360 firms?

Comment

Hi

Still stuck with multiple time series in my panel sample. Can you elaborate further how would I add the xtset command within the foreach loop (as is mentioned in #6) as I have tried many ways, but couldn't get it right.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                X