No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using -asdoc- to export a local -matrix-

Dear Statalisters,

I want to export regression results in a neat table. I am using a -matrix- to extract specific scalars post-estimation that I have stored in -local- macros.

However, given I am using Stata version 14 I cannot use -putdocx- which would solve my problem (indeed I have tried this on a friend's Stata and my code works fine which is most frustrating).

Instead, I am hoping to achieve my aim using Attaullah Shah great command -asdoc- which allows for exporting a matrix.

In attempting this I encounter the error: "r(3000): nothing found where subexp expected". I am not sure what to make of this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Code:
    sysuse auto

reg price mpg rep78

local beta1 = _b[mpg]
    local se1 = _se[mpg]
    local beta2 = _b[rep78]
    local se2 = _se[rep78]
    local lower1 = `beta1' - invttail(e(df_r), 0.025)*`se1'
    local upper1 = `beta1' + invttail(e(df_r), 0.025)*`se1'
    local lower2 = `beta2' - invttail(e(df_r), 0.025)*`se2'
    local upper2 = `beta2' + invttail(e(df_r), 0.025)*`se2'

matrix stats = (`beta1', `se1', `lower1', `upper1' \ `beta2', `se2', `lower2', `upper2' )

matrix colnames stats = "Beta" "SE" "Lower 95% Confidence interval" "Upper 95% Confidence interval"
    matrix rownames stats = "Miles per gallon" "Repair record"

asdoc wmat, mat(stats) replace

Many thanks,
    Alexander
    (Stata v14.2 IC for Mac)

The problem was caused by the matrix row and column names. I have fixed that. The new version of asdoc can be installed from my site. Copy and paste the following line in Stata and press enter.
    Code:
    net install asdoc, from(http://fintechprofessor.com) replace
    Please note that the above line has to be copied in full. After installation of the new version, then restart Stata.

The output looks like this
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1515713

If you do not have other plans for this lengthy code, then please note that the asdoc's detailed regression table output exactly this table. See this example.
    You can actually customize the detailed regression table by suppressing stars or confidence intervals, see more details here.

Code:
    asdoc reg price mpg rep78, replace nostars

Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1515714

Please do remember to cite asdoc. To cite:
    In-text citation
    Tables were created using asdoc, a Stata program written by Shah (2018).

Bibliography
    Shah, A. (2018). ASDOC: Stata module to create high-quality tables in MS Word from Stata output. Statistical Software Components S458466, Boston College Department of Economics.
    Regards
    --------------------------------------------------
    Attaullah Shah, PhD.
    Professor of Finance, Institute of Management Sciences Peshawar, Pakistan
    FinTechProfessor.com
    https://asdocx.com
    Check out my asdoc program, which sends outputs to MS Word.
    For more flexibility, consider using asdocx which can send Stata outputs to MS Word, Excel, LaTeX, or HTML.

Comment

Dear Attaullah Shah
      Thank you for providing such a swift response.

I can happily confirm the error no longer occurs. Thank you again.

As we say here in Australia, you're a deadset legend mate!
      Many thanks,
      Alexander
      (Stata v14.2 IC for Mac)

Comment

Dear Attaullah Shah
        I might just ask as well, any way to limit the decimal places in the output or because I have these data stored in local macros it has to be specified there?
        Thanks again,
        Alexander

Many thanks,
        Alexander
        (Stata v14.2 IC for Mac)

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, you can use the dec() option.

Code:
          * Using two decimal places
           asdoc wmat, mat(stats) dec(2) replace  

* Using 4 decimal places    
           asdoc wmat, mat(stats) dec(4) replace
          Regards
          Attaullah Shah, PhD.
          FinTechProfessor.com
          For more flexibility, consider using asdocx which can send Stata outputs to MS Word, Excel, LaTeX, or HTML.

Comment

Dear Attaullah Shah
            Thanks again! It worked a treat. The sunnies suit you.

Many thanks,
            Alexander
            Many thanks,
            Alexander
            (Stata v14.2 IC for Mac)

Comment

Dear Attaullah Shah here is my code, but I am not getting the exact table in word, please suggest to me.
              use http://fmwww.bc.edu/RePEc/bocode/o/oaxaca.dta, clear
              gen wage=exp(lnwage)
              oaxaca_rif lnwage educ exper tenure, by(female) wgt(1) rif(q(50)) rwlogit(educ exper tenure)
              est sto m1
              oaxaca_rif lnwage educ exper tenure, by(female) wgt(1) rif(q(60)) rwlogit(educ exper tenure)
              est sto m2
              asdoc esttab m1 m2, nogaps se star(* 0.1 ** 0.05 *** 0.01) dec(2) replace

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have an issue with the updated version Attaullah provided.
                Before the rownames of my summary statistics were correctly placed but now asdoc eats away one column, please see here: Tables.doc
                Can I do something for this?

Comment

SIDITA HASA Can you please post the asdoc code that you used. Perhaps, you are using the sum command with detail option. But that works fine. The current version of asdoc is
                  Code:
                  *! Version 2.3.9.1 : Changes made on Nov 3, 2020

The new version of asdoc can be installed from my site. Copy and paste the following line in Stata and press enter.
                  Code:
                  which asdoc
                  sysuse auto, clear
                  ​​​​​​​asdoc sum, detail
                  Please note that the above line has to be copied in full. After installation of the new version, then restart Stata.

asdocx is now available
                  A more powerful and flexible version of asdoc is now available. I call it asdocx. You may like to check the details here

https://fintechprofessor.com/asdocx

In-text citation

Bibliography
                  Shah, A. (2018). ASDOC: Stata module to create high-quality tables in MS Word from Stata output. Statistical Software Components S458466, Boston College Department of Economics.

Regards
                  Attaullah Shah, PhD.
                  FinTechProfessor.com

Comment

Dear Attaullah,

Thank you for your message a while ago! Now it works fine.
                    I have another problem with exporting summary stats and regressions. Stata is rounding all numbers so there are no decimals points while in my code I specify the decimals I want, please see below:

Code:
                    asdoc sum cash bonds stocks re alt mortg invemp mxinv, stat(N mean sd p5 p25 p50 p75 p95) tzok dec(2) title(Table 2, Panel A: Summary statistics of asset allocation) font(Times New Roman) append label

Result: Tables 1,2,3.doc

What's the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Comment

Attaullah Shah Forgot to mention you in the previous message, please see above!

Comment

It is difficult to identify the problem without using a reproducible example. I am not getting the said error when using the auto dataset
                        Code:
                        sysuse auto
                        asdoc sum price mpg rep78 headroom trunk weight length turn displacement , stat(N mean sd p5 p25 p50 p75 p95) tzok dec(2) title(Table 2, Panel A: Summary statistics of asset allocation) font(Times New Roman) append label

Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1616726
                        Regards
                        Attaullah Shah, PhD.
                        FinTechProfessor.com

Comment

Thank you for you message Attaullah Shah!
                          Using your example, I get again a table with rounded numbers, no decimals.. I updated the package and restarted Stata but I have still the same problem!

Comment

The latest version is
                            Code:
                            which asdoc
                            *!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            *! Version 2.3.9.5 : Changes made on April 10 , 2021 :
                            * Bug fixed in sum command when a variable had all empty values
                            *!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do not have this version, try it from my site
                            The new version of asdoc can be installed from my site. Copy and paste the following line in Stata and press enter.
                            Code:

asdocx is now available
                            A more powerful and flexible version of asdoc is now available. I call it asdocx. You may like to check the details here

https://fintechprofessor.com/asdocx

In-text citation

Bibliography

Regards
                            Attaullah Shah, PhD.
                            FinTechProfessor.com

Comment

Attaullah Shah Even after the updates, I had the same problem.. What I did and seemed to work is that I opened another Stata window, called the auto data in the system, applied asdoc, saw that I finally had decimals, opened my do file in the same Stata window and ran my code! But I still don't know where this problem comes from and I need to know to avoid it later on, any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X