No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed of Stata

Dear All,

I am using stata 15.1. I noticed something that I cannot explain. I am using the command threshold to run an estimation over a dataset containing 90,000 observations.

I noticed that if I run the estimation while I am recharging my laptop, it takes much more time than when it is not.

Is this issue a common feature? If so why?

Thanks for your help.

Dario

This is almost certainly an issue of your laptop's power profiles throttling power usage to your CPU, thus making things faster or slower. I would check to make sure that while charging you are using a more performance-optimized profile if you want faster computation.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. I will double check the profile while charging

Comment

Dario Maimone Ansaldo Patti
        It would also be useful to restart the machine prior to the Stata session to test these issues. It could be that other programs had failed to release memory after you had closed them causing the OS to swap memory in one instance but not the other. If you are using an *nix based system, you could also go to the command line to specify a different niceness for the Stata process to make sure it has priority in the kernel for scheduling the different tasks.

Comment

Working...
        X