No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bar chart comparing mean to a constant variable

Dear Stata Community,

I am looking to create a bar graph similar to that below. For simplicity, I will pretend my data is that of the example picture. In my survey, I have five variables that for each respondent, I have collected data on the scale from 1 to 100. From my data I have means that are below the national average, explained in the below table:
    Var Mean Nat. Ave
    AP 25 100
    CF 50 100
    CC 35 75
    FF 67 75
    IM 39 50

In my data set, I have generated variables to represent the national averages
    gen APna=100
    and so forth...

My goal is to make a bar chart like the one above, where my actual data for each variable is represented as a mean (solid), and its national average is displayed over it as an outline. In my actual data, I do have one variable that whose national average is higher than the mean, so I would need the lines to be in front of the means. I can easily change titles in the graph editor so no need to worry about including titles in the code.

Thank you in advance!

StataSE 15 (64bit)
    Windows 10

Here's some technique

Code:
    clear 
    input str2 Var Mean Ave
    AP 25 100
    CF 50 100
    CC 35 75
    FF 67 75
    IM 39 50
    end 

gen id = _n 

forval i = 1/5 { 
        label define id `i' "`=Var[`i']'", modify 
    }
    label val id id 

gen where = 10 

twoway bar Ave id, xla(1/5, valuelabel tlc(none)) blc(red) bfc(none) base(0) barw(0.7)   ///
    || scatter Ave id, ms(none) mla(Ave) mlabc(red) mlabpos(12)  /// 
    || bar Mean id, blc(red) bfc(red*0.1) barw(0.7) base(0)  /// 
    || scatter where id, ms(none) mla(Mean) mlabpos(0) mlabc(black)  ///
    ytitle(enter sensible text) xtitle("") ysc(r(. 105)) yla(0(20)100, ang(h)) legend(order(3 "Actual" 1 "Target"))

Click image for larger version

Name:	actual_target.png
Views:	1
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1511860

Comment

Working...
    X