No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto-filter variable name in dialog box

Hi,
    I'm relatively new to Stata and am wondering if I'm missing something simple when it comes to selecting variables in a dialog box? Say I want to perform a simple regression - with the cursor in the 'Dependent Variable' box, is the standard behaviour that you have to type out the variable name in full (or scroll down the list and manually select it)? i.e. if you click the down arrow and start typing the first couple of letters of the variable name, Stata doesn't auto-filter possible matches? I am often given datasets with hundreds of variables with non-simple variable names - it would obviously be helpful in quickly locating a variable.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Note you have this kind of autocompletion in the command line (type a few letters, and 'tab'). For me the standard behavior is not using the dialog boxes at all, except maybe sometimes with complex commands I don't use often, to get the correct syntax.

Comment

Thanks. I also use the command line most of the time and reserve the menus for learning new syntax. I just would have assumed this was implemented in the dialog boxes - no big deal of course if not.

Comment

However, you are right, it would be a nice addition, and I added an entry (#36) to the wishlist for Stata 17.

Comment

Working...
        X