Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• merge vars do not uniquely identify observations in master data - but no duplicates found

I am struggling to perform a 1:m merge on two merge variables that are both string variables. When I attempt the merge, I get the familiar "variables FirstName LastName do not uniquely identify observations in master data" error. So, of course, I run the duplicates command to find my duplicates and figure out a solution.

The problem is that duplicates flag zero duplicates based on the two merge variables. My hunch is that something is going wrong with how these string variables are being stored. One is of the type str35 and the other is strL - I'm not very familiar with strL types.

Does anyone have an idea of why my merge command is flagging duplicates but the duplicates command is not?

I suspect the problem is that -merge- does not allow strL variables as part of the key. I'd try -compress-, which likely will reduce your strL to a small string, after which I bet the merge will work. (I can't imagine that you have a first or last name that requires a strL.) In general, issuing a -compress- command from time to time is a good idea.

Comment

Mike - Thanks for suggestion. You're right! It even says so in the merge help file. I'm not sure how I missed it. Issue resolved.

Comment

Working...
      X