No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autocomplete shortcuts in Stata16

Dear Stata users,
    It's a good news that Stata 16 support autocompletion in dofile editor. The autocompletion practice is done with "Enter" key (Hard Return). However, someone maybe like to use the "Space" key to do autocompletion. Can we change keyboard shortcuts in WindowsOS?
    Discussion about MacOS:
    https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...t-keys-for-mac

Thanks for the suggestion. We will consider it. We will update the list when we reach a decision.

Comment

Thanks for your attention Hua Peng (StataCorp)

Comment

Hua Peng (StataCorp)

There is another problem with autocompletion: I really prefer to trigger autocompletion only when I need it, and I hate to see the popup appear when I'm quicly typing some code (it interferes to much with arrow keys). In RStudio and Eclipse, there is a very nice option to start autocompletion on some key (tab, usually). To be honest, with the current behavior I prefer disabling autocompletion altogether.

Comment

Is there a way to disable autocompletion? I have been searching for documentation on it, to no avail.
          --Melissa

Comment

I found how to disable autocompletion!

Within the Do-File Editor, go to the Edit menu, choose Preferences. Choose the Autocompletion tab, deselect the "Autocomplete existing text" checkbox.

:-) Melissa

Comment

But is it possible to disable auto-completion permanently? It seems to turn itself back on every time I reopen Stata. Is there a way to edit profile.do to do it?

Thanks,
              Mitch
              Mitch Downey, Grad student, UCSD Economics

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude Arbaut View Post
                There is another problem with autocompletion: I really prefer to trigger autocompletion only when I need it, and I hate to see the popup appear when I'm quicly typing some code (it interferes to much with arrow keys). In RStudio and Eclipse, there is a very nice option to start autocompletion on some key (tab, usually). To be honest, with the current behavior I prefer disabling autocompletion altogether.
                Edit > Advanced > Complete word or ctrl-space.
                Last edited by Chinh Nguyen (StataCorp); 27 Sep 2019, 09:39.
                -Chinh Nguyen

Comment

Originally posted by Chen Samulsion View Post
                  Dear Stata users,
                  It's a good news that Stata 16 support autocompletion in dofile editor. The autocompletion practice is done with "Enter" key (Hard Return). However, someone maybe like to use the "Space" key to do autocompletion. Can we change keyboard shortcuts in WindowsOS?
                  This is not practical. Stata autocompletes two part commands too (e.g. -mi add-).
                  -Chinh Nguyen

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Downey View Post
                    But is it possible to disable auto-completion permanently? It seems to turn itself back on every time I reopen Stata. Is there a way to edit profile.do to do it?
                    I was not able to reproduce this. I tried Windows, Mac, and Unix and all three platforms respected that setting after reopening Stata.
                    -Chinh Nguyen

Comment

Working...
                    X