No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condition based on part of a string

Hi,
    I want to execute some commands only on those observations that contain a specific phrase as part of their value in a string variable. What should be the condition?
    P.S. the phrase isn't in English (Hebrew letters).
    Thanks ahead,
    Ben

Hi Ben,

The condition is up to you to come up with. One way you could implement this would be along the lines of:

Code:
    gen test = 1 if strpos("string_to_look_for",var_you_are_looking_for_string)>0
    What this does is it applies whatever you are doing (in this case, generating test=1) only to those observations in which the value for variable var_you_are_looking_for_string contains the string string_to_look_for. I'm not sure how Stata deals with Hebrew characters though.

Cheers
    Last edited by Igor Paploski; 15 Jul 2019, 12:41.

Comment

I imagine that Hebrew characters are implemented in unicode, and so the condition proposed in #2 would use the -ustrpos()- function instead of -strpos()-.

Comment

Thank you, Igor and Clyde.

Actually, none of them works - it only get me those observations with an empty value in the specified variable (regardless the variable I specify and the language it holds, as I got the same results with English strings).

Do you have any idea what could be the cause?

Comment

Hey Ben, help strpos shows explains that the order I posted the suggestion to you is inverted.

Instead of:
          Code:
          gen test = 1 if strpos("string_to_look_for",var_you_are_looking_for_string)>0
          It should be:
          Code:
          gen test = 1 if strpos(var_you_are_looking_for_string, "string_to_look_for")>0
          This way, if you run the following:
          Code:
          sysuse auto.dta
          gen buick = 1 if strpos(make,"Buick")>0
          You will create a variable that is 1 for all entries that contain the word "Buick" (Stata is case-sensitive, "buick" would not be detected) in the variable make.

Comment

Working...
          X