No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative to interaction term in regression

Hi all,

I am examining the interaction effect between X and Y (outcome var is Z) using fixed effects model. However, I have reason to suspect that simply adding an interaction term may not well capture the real picture of how the effect of X on Z varies across the level of Y. So I am wondering if there is any statistical methods (and Stata package) that can determine if there is any cutoff points (in terms of, for instance, percentile i of Y) along the range of Y, around which the effect of X on Z is statistically significantly different from each other below and above the cutoff point?

Thank you very much!

If you do not have an a priori hypothesis about such cutoff points and you want a program that will estimate them, then I am unaware of any existing code to do that. As far as I know, you would have to write your own maximum likelihood estimator for that--it's a big deal.

If, however, you have specific cutoffs in mind, you could use the -mkspline- command to partition Y into a series of variables and then use the interactions of the spline variables with X.

Comment

Thank you very much Clyde!

Comment

If you don't have an immense data set, you can also simply run a loop over cutoff points. I believe Simonsohn, U. (2018). Two Lines: A Valid Alternative to the Invalid Testing of U-Shaped Relationships
        With Quadratic Regressions. Advances in Methods and Practices in Psychological Science, 1(4), 538–555.
        https://doi.org/10.1177/2515245918805755

addresses a similar problem and offers a strategy for finding cutpoints.

Comment

Thank you Phil! The paper is very interesting.

Comment

the is a user-written routine that finds a breakpoint in linear or logistic regression - sometimes called 'hockey stick' regresson.
            this might be of interest?
            see https://personalpages.manchester.ac....loghockey.html

Comment

Hi George,

Thank you! I will check it out! Do you know if this trick applies to fixed effects model?

Comment

Working...
              X