No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Outlier

Dear all,

I want to remove the outlier above the yellow line. Is there any Stata command by which I can only remove the outlier from the Y variable on the basis of each X variable. For example, I want to remove the extreme value of Y when X is 1,2,3,......,27.

Thanks and kind regards,

Ariful
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1496773

You may use the ‘if’ clause to combine situations.

That being said, I just wish to underline a concept that already became a letany: simply excluding outliers is not the most appropriate strategy.
    Best regards,

Marcos

Comment

You need to describe how the code should choose which observations are outliers. For X=1 there are two points above the yellow line; for X=2 there is a single point above the yellow line, and for X=3 there are no points above the yellow line.

Comment

Expanding on Marcos's suggestion, the following example code demonstrates a technique that could start you on your way.
        Code:
        sort X Y
        generate outlier = 0
        by X (Y): replace outlier = 1 if X==1 & _n>=_N-1
        by X (Y): replace outlier = 1 if X==2 & _n==_N
        and then in your subsequent commands you can exclude the outliers
        Code:
        scatter Y X if outlier==0
        This will enable you to do what you seek. It is poor statistical technique, as Marcos suggests,

Comment

What are the variables any way? The plot to me looks consistent with a log-linear relationship for which logarithmic llink function would give good results.

Comment

Thanks a lot. I solve the problem. Thanks William, Nick and Marcos.

Comment

Working...
            X