No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cross classified multilevel structure

Dear Stata Forum,

I am using mixed estimating a cross-classified multilevel model with three levels, where I have approximately 100 000 observations divided into 12 cohorts cross-classified with 8 periods both nested in 9 countries. When I run the code:
    Code:
    mixed DV IV1 i.IV2 || _all: R.cohort || period: || country: , variance

------------------------------------------------------------
                    |     No. of       Observations per Group
     Group Variable |     Groups    Minimum    Average    Maximum
    ----------------+--------------------------------------------
               _all |          1    114,788  114,788.0    114,788
           essround |          8     13,509   14,348.5     14,887
            country |         72      1,164    1,594.3      2,289
    it seems Stata cross-classifies also the country and period variable (8 periods * 9 countries = 72 groups), instead of simply estimating country as a third level above the second (cohort-period cross-classified) level.
    What would be the right way to write the syntax so that Stata would not cross-classify country with period?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by cohort, but if as you say there are only 12 of them in total and they are all nested under a total of nine countries, then most countries have only a single cohort. Did I get that right? If so, then maybe you'd be better off forgetting about country and go with just a cross-classified random effects model with cohorts and waves (periods). With only 12 of one and eight of the other cross-classified, I'm guessing that it will be difficult enough to tease out their variances, without having to deal with singleton cases of country-cohort combinations.

Comment

Dear Joseph,

thank you very much for your reply.
      I am sorry I have not been clearer in my previous post - each country has 12 cohorts (so there are 108 cohorts in total). What I mean by cohort: each cohort defined as a 5 years span of people being born between 1931 till 1990. Thus, the youngest cohort are people born between 1931-1935 and the oldest cohort are those born between 1986-1990. These cohorts are present in each country.

I also tried to run the model with country fixed effects (which I think goes towards your suggestion), with code looking something like:
      Code:

mixed DV IV1 i.IV2 i.country || _all: R.cohort || period: , variance
      but the model unfortunately does not converge. (Why would that be?)

Comment

When thinking about cross-classification, it can help to picture the data structure as a spreadsheet, organized with rows and columns. In the horizontal direction, you've got your observations sorted into cohorts which are grouped together by country, giving you a total of 108 country-cohort rows. In the vertical direction, those same observations are also sorted into 8 periods or columns. So all of your 100,000 observations are sorted into 864 boxes (108 country-cohorts x 8 periods).

Do you really need another level of nesting in the vertical direction? In the spreadsheet I've described, every observation is already assigned to a specific country by the row. Dividing each column up into 9 countries would only add a lot of empty boxes without changing the way things are sorted.

So I think you want something like this:

Code:
        mixed DV IV1 IV2 || _all:R.period || country: || cohort:
        Does that work?

Comment

Dear William,

thank you very much for your answer. I think you very nicely describe how to think about the data. When I ran the code as you suggest I get

Code:
          -------------------------------------------------------------
                     _all |          1    114,788  114,788.0    114,788
                  country |          9     11,333   12,754.2     15,120
                   cohort |        108        412    1,062.9      1,642
          I still have few questions.
          1.) When I run the code as you suggest, am I cross-classifying periods with country and cohorts, while nesting cohorts within countries: Is my understanding correct? Why is Stata giving me the number of groups multiplied by the nesting variable? For instance, if I would have run a simple three level model, it would tell me the number of groups nested within another level as the actual number of groups (i.e. 126 regions nested in 9 countries would be recognized as 126, not as 1134)
          Code:
          *THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE TO MAKE MY POINT ABOUT NUMBER OF GROUPS
          mixed DV || country: || region: , variance
                  country |          9      4,932    6,312.4      8,701
                   region |        126          1      450.9      1,965

In my first post, I made the mistake to put country last as actually cross-classified period and cohort should be nested in country. Wouldn´t the code:
          Code:
          mixed DV IV1 IV2 || country: || _all:R.cohort || period: , variance
          which gives this output:

Code:
                  country |          9     11,333   12,754.2     15,120
                     _all |          9     11,333   12,754.2     15,120
                 essround |         72      1,164    1,594.3      2,289
          also make sense? Am I nesting one artificial cross-classified (period) level into country as well as 12 cohorts in country?

2.) To further complicate things:
          A) One cohort is missing in one period
          B) my IVs are actually at the country-cohort level and country-period level. What I mean is that IV1 has different values for cohort 1 in country A and cohort 1 in country B. Same goes for period.

My possible overcomplicated solution to this would be to do something like this:

Code:
          egen countrycohort=concat(country cohort)
          egen coutryperiod=concat(country period)

egen cntrcohcntper==concat(countrycohort coutryperiod)

mixed DV IV1 IV2 || country: || cntrcohcntper: , variance
          Would that also be correct?

Comment

I still have few questions.
            1.) When I run the code as you suggest, am I cross-classifying periods with country and cohorts, while nesting cohorts within countries: Is my understanding correct? Why is Stata giving me the number of groups multiplied by the nesting variable? For instance, if I would have run a simple three level model, it would tell me the number of groups nested within another level as the actual number of groups (i.e. 126 regions nested in 9 countries would be recognized as 126, not as 1134)
            Without seeing your data, I can't say for sure, but my first guess would be that this is a numbering problem.

In your first output, you've probably numbered the cohorts consistently in each country using the numbers 1 through 12. Stata is correctly nesting those groups within the 9 countries, giving you a total of 108 country-cohorts which is (I think) what you want.

But in your second bit of output you've got 9 countries again and 126 regions. I'm guessing that you don't really mean 126 regions PER COUNTRY. You've probably got a total of 126 regions and you numbered them individually, giving each region a unique number. You would need to number the regions within each country (starting at 1) to get the "countries x regions = total groups" output.

Am I right about all that? If not, maybe you should post a sample from your dataset so we can understand the numbering system.

Comment

Working...
            X