Clear All

• Main effects and/versus Interactions

Hi all,

I have four vars:
    outcome coded as 0 "no" 1 "yes"
    race coded as 1 "asian" 2 "latin" 3 "black" 4 "white"
    region_res coded as 1 "South" 2 "West" 3 "Midwest" 4 "Northeast"
    rural coded as 0 "no" 1 "yes"
    The dataset is coplex survey data; thus, I svyset and ran logistic regressions with region-race interactions as follows.

Code:
    svy: logit outcome ib3.race##ib3.region_res i.rural, or
    Linearized
    outcome Odds Ratio P>t
    race
    1 0.50
    2 0.24 ***
    4 0.34 ***
    region_res
    1 0.30 *
    2 1.67 *
    4 0.43 ***
    race#region_res
    1 1 4.90
    1 2 0.22
    1 4 0.73
    2 1 10.26 **
    2 2 2.43
    2 4 2.15 *
    4 1 4.66
    4 2 1.58
    4 4 5.00 ***
    1.rural 0.06 ***
    _cons 14.52 ***

However, I then thought that residing in a specific region and having a specific racial background are discrete characteristics for each observation that I could not get the whole point of including the main effects of region and race in the regression analysis. So, I excluded the main effects got the following output.

Code:
    svy: logit outcome ib3.race#ib3.region_res i.rural, or
    Linearized
    outcome Odds Ratio P>t
    race#region_res
    1 1 0.74
    1 2 0.19 ***
    1 3 0.50
    1 4 0.16 ***
    2 1 0.74
    2 2 0.96
    2 3 0.24 ***
    2 4 0.22 ***
    3 1 0.30 *
    3 2 1.67
    3 4 0.43 ***
    4 1 0.49
    4 2 0.91
    4 3 0.34 ***
    4 4 0.73
    1.rural 0.06 ***
    _cons 14.52 ***
    MY QUESTION:
    Am I right with my second point, 'partial factorial'? I'm just wondering if this may affect the analysis.

Thank you!

I use Stata15.1/SE version
    Last edited by Messu Melu; 27 Apr 2019, 16:34.

You can do this either way. You just have to be sure you know how to interpret whichever way you do. I would say that the best way to interpret these results is to use the -margins- command, as it will give you the right results either way and you don't have to worry that you've done it wrong.

Comment

Thank you very much Clyde, for you fast response! This is very helpful! Sure, I will use margins to interpret. However, I could not find any examplary literature for interpreting two interacting variables with four categories each. Am I right if I just compare each interaction with reference groups the way I can do for two interacting binary variables?
      Last edited by Messu Melu; 27 Apr 2019, 16:52.

Comment

Yes. When you have variables with multiple levels and you use the single # interaction operator, it is as if you had a single variable representing all 16 combinations of race and region and then entered that into the model as i.combination_race_region_variable. One category will be omitted as the reference, and each of the other categories gives an odds ratio relative to that omitted category.

If you follow that up with -margins race#region- you will get output for all 16 combinations showing their predicted probabilities--which for most people is probably easier to grasp than a series of odds ratios.

Comment

Thank you very much once again, dear Clyde!

Comment

I found these UCLA annotations helpful as well.

https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/stata/fa...n-interaction/

Comment

Working...
            X