Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion w/ panel data, fixed effects, dummies, clustered standard errors etc

Hey STATA community,

I currently do a project and now I am stuck in the data analysis. Therefore, I need your help AND sorry for opening a new thread with these basic questions. I just want to understand to STATA command once that I can apply it in the future without major questions..

I have firm-level data over multiple years. The literature I am following uses sector and year dummies, pseudo fixed effects and clustered standard errors on industry-level. Now I wonder, how I can fit all that into one model.

I set my panel using:
    xtset companynum DataYearFiscal, yearly
    Whereas companynum is the company identifier and DataYearFiscal is the year.

So far, I managed to build the following model:
    xtreg DepVar IndVar1 IndVar2 ... IndVarn i.DataYearFiscal i.companynum, vce (cluster Industry)
    I have some questions to better understand the command.
    Does is fit the above-mentioned requirements?
    i.DataYearFiscal and i.companynum are dummies, aren't they? Are they used to cover time-variant effects and firm-variant effects respectively?
    vce (cluster Industry) says clustered standard errors on industry-level to account for differences between industries (e.g. manufacturing vs retail). What happens if I exclude it?
    If I include fe, i.companynum is ommited because of collinearity.

The above-mentioned model, however, has an R-Square between = 1.0000. That seems odd to me. Why is this so? Where did I take the wrong exit?

Thank you very much!
    Tobi

Tobias:
    welcome to this forum.
    Some comments about your query:
    - your -xtset-looks OK;
    - -i.companynum- is redundant, as you have already included this fixed effect in -xtset-. As expected, it is wiped out by -fe- machinery, being a time-invariant predictor;;
    - your take about -i.DataYearFiscal and- i.companynum- is right. However, I would recommend you to take a look at any decent textbook on panel data econometrics;
    - cluster/robust option accounts for heteroskedasticity and/or autocorrelation;
    - your R_sq looks actually strange. What is the outcome of -xttest0- after -xtreg,re-?
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response!

I do not need to include either i.companynum or fe because I use a panel regression!? But what does "pseudo fixed effects" refer to? I am a bit confused by the "pseudo".

I will consult a text book to check how I apply them correctly.

Ok. I do understand the concept of heteroskedasticity. However, does is make sense the do that on industry-level if the panel is on firm-level?

Regarding the R-square issue, my outputs are:

R-sq:
      within = 0.0764
      between = 1.0000
      overall = 0.1672

Wald chi2(14) = .
      Prob > chi2 = .

xttest0

Breusch and Pagan Lagrangian multiplier test for random effects

DepVar[companynum,t] = Xb + u[companynum] + e[companynum,t]

Estimated results:
      | Var sd = sqrt(Var)
      ----------+--------------------------------------
      DepVar | 1773.943 42.11821
      e | 1739.027 41.70165
      u | 0 0

Test: Var(u) = 0
      chibar2(01) = 0.00
      Prob > chibar2 = 1.0000

I have honestly no clue what this tells me now. *facepalm*

Comment

Tobias:
        as suspected from the sky-rocketing between R-sq, the outcome of -xttest0- tells you that your dataset does not show evidence of panel-wise effect; hence, you should switch to pooled OLS.
        On pseudo-panels (ie, cohorts of individuals instead of individuals followed-up over time), you may want to take a look at: https://www.insee.fr/en/statistiques...uillerm_EN.pdf.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Hi Carlo,

I read through the document. However, I can't get my head around the idea, why I have a pseudo-panel rather than a normal one. My data is on individual firm level and I do follow individuals for the whole time period. Is it because my panel is unbalanced?

Do unbalanced panel require different methods/commands or controls? Or do I have to drop the firm-years with missing variables? I thought, STATA ignores them anyway...

Thank you very much!
          Tobi

Comment

Tobias:
            if you have a sample composed of the same units (firm, in your case) that you follow-up over years, you have a panel dataset.
            The fact that your panel is unbalanced has nothing to do with pseudo-panel definition.
            Eventually, as you correctly surmise, Stata can handle both balanced and unbalaced panel datasets with no problem (and no difference in the -xt- suite commands to be used for your regression).
            That said, as per -xtttest0- outcome, your panel dataset does not show evidence of panel-wise fixed effect; hence, it should be estimated vi pooled OLS.
            Kind regards,
            Carlo
            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Hi Carlo,

Sorry for not getting back to you! Thank you very much for your explanation. It helps tremendously!

All the best

Comment

Working...
              X