No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marginal Effects for Bivariate Random Effects Probit

Hi,

I am in the process of trying to run a Bivariate Random Effects Probit (Plum, 2016) to analyse the probability of married couples retiring based on Australian superannuation.

I am curious as how marginal effects should be calculated.

Our estimation code is:

Code:
    /. bireprob retired_1 age ///
    >         (retired_2 age_2)
    and then esitmating margins for age results in

Code:
     margins, dydx(age age_2)

Average marginal effects                        Number of obs     =      2,836
    Model VCE    : OIM

Expression   : Linear prediction, predict()
    dy/dx w.r.t. : age age_2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 |            Delta-method
                 |      dy/dx   Std. Err.      z    P>|z|     [95% Conf. Interval]
    -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
             age |   .1838857   .0119246    15.42   0.000      .160514    .2072574
           age_2 |          0  (omitted)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that age_2 is omitted seems that either the STATA command margins doesn't account for the nature of the estimation, or I am making a mess of it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

refs
    https://ideas.repec.org/a/tsj/stataj...i1p96-111.html

edit*
    Unfortunately, due to the confidentiality requirements we can't link the data for replication, but it is sourced from HILDA ( Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia, https://melbourneinstitute.unimelb.edu.au/hilda).
    Last edited by Jonathan Nathan; 21 Apr 2019, 00:04.

Buried in the PDF documentation for the margins command is a discussion "Estimation commands which may be used with margins" which tells us, among other things, that not all estimaton commands included in base Stata (note: not STATA) can be used with margins. I note that the author of bireprob does not include in help bireprob any indication of the Stata postestimation commands - of which margins is one - that can be used following bireprob.

So it seems unlikely that the Stata command margins can be used with the user-written bireprob command. You could perhaps confirm that by writing to the author at the email address given in the help file.

Comment

Working...
    X