Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying a conditional -if- statement to a set of variables without typing the names individually?

Dear STATA Forum,

I have a (hopefully simple) question about using variable shortcuts and conditional statements. Suppose I have a series of similarly named variables (var_1-var_6), and they are all have some numerical value inside. Here is some quick reproducible example data:
    Code:
    *fake data
    clear
    input var_1 var_2 var_3 var_4 var_5 var_6
    1 0 0 1 1 1
    0 1 1 0 1 0
    0 0 0 0 1 1
    end

gen country = ""
        replace country = "usa" in 1
        replace country = "can" in 2
        replace country = "sgp" in 3
    For a given country, I would like to know which variables of var_1-var_6 are greater than 0. I realize I can...
    Code:
    mdesc var* if country=="usa"
    ...to infer which variables have values from the percent missing, but is there an alternative way to apply a conditional -if- statement to all of the vars*?

For those interested (if it will help in providing a solution), the purpose of this question is to return a varlist of each var* that meets a certain level. Those vars that meet a certain level inform a process in a separate dataset. Each varlist is unique by country, such that the varslist considered for USA differs from CAN, SGP, etc.

Apologies if this question is poorly formatted - please let me know how I can improve it!
    Last edited by Jeffery Sauer; 14 Apr 2019, 20:40. Reason: clarification around suggested solution of mdesc

This is only possible if the variables in question are named in some similar way so that they can be described with wildcards, or form a range of consecutive variables in the data set, so that the this_var-that_var notation encompasses them.

Does the variable country uniquely identify observations? If so,

Code:
    //    CREATE A LIST FOR EACH COUNTRY AFTER
    //    VERIFYING COUNTRY UNIQUELY IDENTIFIES OBSERVATIONS
    isid country, sort
    forvalues i = 1/`=_N' {
        local country = country[`i']
        local vlist_`country'
        foreach v of varlist var* {
            if `v'[`i'] > 0 {
                local vlist_`country' `vlist_`country'' `v'
            }
        }
    }

//    DISPLAY THE LISTS SO YOU CAN SEE THAT IT WORKED
    levelsof country, local(countries)
    foreach c of local countries {
        display `"`c'"', `"`vlist_`c''"'
    }
    At the end of the code, local macro vlist_usa will contain the names of those var_* which are > 0 in the usa observation, etc.

If country does not identify observations uniquely, suppose that var1 = 1 in one observation with country == "whatever" but var1 = 0 in a different observation with country == "whatever", does var1 go into country "whatever"'s list or not?
    Last edited by Clyde Schechter; 14 Apr 2019, 21:10.

Comment

Hi Clyde,

Thanks for your rapid response and suggested code! As of now country does not uniquely identify observations. In the dataset's raw form the unit of observation is country-hs6 code (a world trade organization commodity code). However, your code has given me some ideas and I am going to play around with the dataset for a while (possible reshape) and return to you!

Comment

Working...
      X