No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Posting for Biostatistician at Cancer Support Community

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
    The Cancer Support Community’s Research & Training Institute (RTI) in Philadelphia, PA, is seeking a Biostatistician. Candidates should have experience in analyzing complex quantitative research datasets and in database management (with competency in SQL and/or REDCap), and demonstrate proficiency in social and behavioral science research methodologies.

The Biostatistician reports to the Executive Director of the Research & Training Institute. The biostatistician will lead data analysis across a variety of quantitative research projects, with an emphasis on behavioral science, cross-sectional and longitudinal survey analysis, and scale development. The biostatistician will lead the RTI efforts in implementing a system for variable naming and organization, data quality review, and data cleaning for an active longitudinal survey research study. The biostatistician will work directly with the Senior Director of Research, study staff, survey platform vendor(s), and other external technical teams. The biostatistician will make recommendations to optimize existing databases and implement their solutions. This is an opportunity to be involved in all facets of research, from study design to data analysis and management to dissemination of results. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills in translating complex concepts to non-methodologically expert audiences.

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
    • Develop standardized data review and cleaning process for large data sets
    • Organize study databases and data collection systems, including:
      • Review existing datasets and data acquisition materials (including electronic surveys) to ensure data continuity
      • Implement item-by-item reconciliation plan for variables as needed, to be shared with research team for review and approval
      • Create sustainable, clean dataset, including naming conventions to allow for continued cross-sectional and longitudinal study expansion, with accompanying codebook (data dictionary in SPSS) and data documentation
    • Conduct statistical programming and analysis using statistical software including SPSS and R
    • Lead database programming and management; liaise with survey platform vendor to create, revise, and document all changes to database and to research study content (e.g., adding or retiring variables)
    • Help to design and optimize data platforms and data dictionary
    • Ability to analyze research problems to identify appropriate research designs for behavioral research, including power and sample size analyses
    • Ability to choose the most appropriate statistical procedures to follow for a given research project
    • Proficiency in cross-sectional and longitudinal multivariate analysis
    • Support doctoral-level staff with the development and psychometric validation of scales (e.g., exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis; reliability/validity analyses)
    • Interpret and communicate statistical results in a clear and concise manner that is tailored to various stakeholders, including researchers and non-researchers
    • Support the preparation of abstracts to national conferences
    • Support the preparation of scientific manuscripts to peer-reviewed journals
    • Perform various other duties directed by the Executive Director to further the projects and research of the RTI
    QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS:
    • Minimum of master’s degree in bioinformatics, biostatistics, epidemiology, quantitative psychology, or related science discipline strongly preferred
    • Minimum two years of relevant professional experience
    • High proficiency in statistical computing: SPSS proficiency required, significant experience with R preferred, experience with Stata a plus
    • Proficiency in SQL, REDCap, and other relevant database languages and platforms
    • Ability to supervise research managers/interns in data-related tasks
    • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
    • Detail and process-oriented; excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
    • Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
    • Access to high speed internet
    • Valid driver’s license
    ABOUT CANCER SUPPORT COMMUNITY
    As the largest professionally-led nonprofit network of cancer support worldwide, the CSC is dedicated to ensuring that all people impacted by cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action and sustained by community. CSC achieves its mission through three areas: direct service delivery, research and advocacy. The organization includes an international network of affiliates that offer the highest quality social and emotional support for people impacted by cancer, as well as a community of support available online and over the phone. The CSC Research and Training Institute conducts cutting-edge psychosocial, behavioral and survivorship research. CSC engages in patient advocacy through its Cancer Policy Institute, informing public policy in Washington, D.C. and across the nation.

The Cancer Support Community is an equal employment opportunity employer.

Apply here: https://www.dcjobs.com/job/detail/36...iostatistician

• Weiwen Ng
    replied
    Danielle, welcome to Statalist.

Originally posted by Danielle Reinhart View Post
    Conduct statistical programming and analysis using statistical software including SPSS and R...

High proficiency in statistical computing: SPSS proficiency required, significant experience with R preferred, experience with Stata a plus
    A lot of corporations rely a lot on SAS, and whatever the merits or possibly demerits of that language, I have to imagine it's more widely used than SPSS. Perhaps you collaborate with other organizations that use SPSS and are not able or willing to change. If I were in that situation, I nonetheless think of just releasing the files in .csv format. The data dictionary would still apply. You could provide formatting statements for other languages. If my collaborators weren't tied to a specific language, then if I were running a shop, I'd try my best to be language agnostic.

The current graduates of my university's statistics program are all using R. The epidemiology program teaches SAS. The health services research PhD program is more language agnostic, but the economists tend to lean towards Stata (which makes me a bit of a black sheep, although I can also program in R). Indeed, your earlier statement said "including SPSS and R", so I am a bit puzzled why your posting requires SPSS. I would guess that your talent pool shrinks considerably with the SPSS requirement, unless that was not really a hard and fast requirement.

Clearly I would have taken myself out of the running for this position, if I were interested in it, but that's my two cents.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X