Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categorizing BMI for children under two years old (zbmicat)

Hi all,

I am looking at the importance of maternal unemployment for child health in a dataset which tracks children from birth till age fifteen at five year intervals.

I have used the zanthro package for egen to create child BMI's at 9 months, as below.

Code:
    egen ba_who1 = zanthro(O_babybmi_y0,ba,WHO), xvar(S_age_months_y0) gender(S_babygender_y0) gencode(male = 1, female = 0)  ageunit(month) gestage(S_gestationalage_y0)

egen ba_uk1 = zanthro(O_babybmi_y0,ba,UK), xvar(S_age_months_y0) gender(S_babygender_y0) gencode(male = 1, female = 0)  ageunit(month) gestage(S_gestationalage_y0)
    I would like to use the zbmicat() function to categorize children according to body mass index (weight/height2) as normal weight, overweight, or obese. However, the help file describes that zbmicat categorizes children and adolescents aged 2–18 years. The children in wave 1 of this study are 9 months old. I know that it is not best practice to categorize BMI at such a young age, however I would still like the option of including this first wave of BMI in my analysis and describing the pitfalls therein to a reviewer.

My question is, although the standard approach below generates only missing values, is there anything I can do to zbmicat such that it can be applied to a 9 month old?

Code:
    egen ba_cat1 = zbmicat(O_babybmi_y0), xvar(S_age_months_y0) gender(S_babygender_y0) gencode(male = 1, female = 0)  ageunit(month)
    Very best,

John

References:

Zanthro: https://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf....iclenum=dm0004

Zanthro update: https://ageconsearch.umn.edu/record/...t_dm0004_1.pdf
    Last edited by John Adler; 10 Apr 2019, 10:35.

You'll increase your chances of a helpful answer by following the FAQ on asking questions - provide Stata code in code delimiters, readable Stata output, and sample data using dataex. Providing a simple example also helps - the complexity just makes it harder for us to understand the problem.

With user written procedures (and even some Stata provided procedures), answers often depend on someone active having used the procedure. Apparently, such a person has not come forward to respond to your question. You may need to contact the program's author or program this yourself.

Comment

Working...
    X