No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed-Effects Choice

Dear all,

I have a statistical-oriented question regarding the choice of time and regional fixed-effects in Stata. I need to pick the level at which I want to introduce fixed-effects in a simple regression design. I have at my disposal a database of survey's answers in around 300 regions in 28 countries spanning 80 months. However, I have some holes in my dataset, which means that a given region hasn't answered each month of the 80 months. For example, a region in Austria might only have answered in January and December and another region in France only answered in 6 months.

Hence my question is... I would like to introduce fixed effects controls at the finest level for both dimensions (i.e monthly and regional FE) but I am afraid this would "vacuum" all the variance in my sample. Do you have any insight on how to check for FE relevance in these kind of cases because I have to admit that my econometrics education has unfortunately omitted this kind of trade-off encountered by researchers.

Hope my question is clear enough and somebody can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Stanley

As far as I know Stata FE doesn't require the panel to be unbalanced. You should probably run your model, before you decide that you lose all variance.
    Thank you for your help!

Stata SE/17.0, Windows 10 Enterprise

Comment

Already did ! The question being is there a way to determine what is the most relevant level of FE to use but thanks anyway !

Comment

Stanley:
        usually, this kind of questions find their solution in the literature of your research field. Especially if you plan to submit your reserach to a tecnical journal, it would be advisable to see what other did in the past when presented with the same research goal and act on accordingly.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Working...
        X