Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingdings characters in graph

I want to use a single Wingdings character in a graph, specifically I want the telephone icon as an axis tick label at the 0 position. The open parenthesis character corresponds to the telephone icon in the Wingdings character map, but when I use
    xlabel(0 `"{fontface "Wingdings": (}"')
    I just get an ordinary open parenthesis, not the corresponding Wingdings character. The fontface command seems to be working, because when I use:
    xlabel(0 `"{fontface "Comic Sans MS": (}"')
    I get an open parenthesis from in Comic Sans font.

NOTE: In the example code above, there's a space between the : and (. I've tried it with and without this space. Here, I include the space only because without it, the Statalist post automatically converts it to a frown emoji,

Thanks,
    Zachary
    Last edited by Zachary Neal; 15 Mar 2019, 09:43.

Originally posted by Zachary Neal View Post
    NOTE: In the example code above, there's a space between the : and (. I've tried it with and without this space. Here, I include the space only because without it, the Statalist post automatically converts it to a frown emoji,
    that’s what the CODE delimiters are for:

Code:
    xlabel(0 `"{fontface "Wingdings":(}"')

Comment

What do you get when you try
      Code:
      twoway (function y=x^2, xlabel(0 `"{fontface "Wingdings": (}"'))
      For me it looks like this, with a phone icon at x=0:

Click image for larger version

Name:	phone.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1488828
      David Radwin
      Senior Researcher, California Competes
      californiacompetes.org
      Pronouns: He/Him

Comment

Thanks - that's exactly what I was hoping to generate. But, when I use (in Stata 13):

Code:
        twoway (function y=x^2, xlabel(0 `"{fontface "Wingdings": (}"'))
        I get:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1489727

Comment

Darn. Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer. I am running the current version (15.1) of Stata/MP for Windows, but even so, I don't know why version would make a difference, especially since you are able to correctly render characters in other fonts.

My only guess (which is not very promising) is to try other approaches to see if there might be a problem with the Wingdings font, such as
          Code:
          twoway (function y=x^2, title(`"{fontface "Wingdings": The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.}"'))
          David Radwin
          Senior Researcher, California Competes
          californiacompetes.org
          Pronouns: He/Him

Comment

Thanks, David! I was able to get it working on another machine (also running version 13), which makes me think it has something to do with font installations, and not Stata. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X