No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panel Data Question I could not find in any book

Hi All,

I have read several manuals on panel data econometrics but I never found the answer to these very basic questions.

I have a panel data with about T=1,000 days (per stock) and N=5,000 stocks. I want to regress daily cumulated returns (over a 21-horizon) over a set of variables (some of which are persistent).
    1. How do I decide whether to include time fixed effects (i.e. time dummies)?
    2. If so, do I need to do so based on the frequency of the data (i.e. include daily dummies if I have daily data and so on)?
    3. I’m interested in making inference about the CROSS-SECTION i.e. whether stocks with a certain characteristic have higher or lower returns. If I include stock fixed effects does my coefficient have more a time-series interpretation instead because it is like using the "within-estimator"?
    4. If I cluster the standard errors in the time dimension, do I need to do so based on the frequency of the data (i.e. cluster by day if I have daily data and so on)?
    5. Can I double cluster standard errors even if I do not include stock and time dummies?
    Thanks a lot!

Max

Maxy:
    welcome to this forum.
    It's strange that your teacher/professor/supervisor gave you no methodological hints about how to analyze your data.
    Anyway:
    1) you have a large N, large T panel dataset. In this instance, the categorical variable to be included among predictors related to -panelid- not time. In your case, I would consider -i.industry-.
    2) see 1);
    3) you may want to consider -xtregar,fe-.
    4) standard errors shoud be clustered on -panelid-, -not -timevar-.
    5) see the user-written programme -reghdfe-, that you can spot and install by typing -search reghdfe- from within Stata.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Working...
    X