Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux distribution for Stata?

I am considering to leave the Windows operating system behind and to switch to Linux. However, I find it difficult to decide which Linux distribution (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, ...) and which desktop (Mate, Cinnamon, Gnome, Unity, ...) to use that allows me to install and use Stata conveniently?

Are there any recommendations from Stata users, preferably with experiences of not only one distribution / desktop ? Or hints on material I should consult?

In my experience there isn't a ton of variation in the particulars of Stata use across Linux distributions, with one caveat. On some Linux distributions, some Stata GUI icons are not properly rendered, and you might have to patch the system's libpng library.

Other than that I don't think there is a "best" distro or DE for it, IMO. I've installed it on Ubuntu and on Arch without issue, and I regularly use Stata on a Linux server that runs CenOS. I've never used Fedora or Mint, but CentOS comes from RedHat, which makes Fedora, and Mint comes from Ubuntu.

In terms of the desktop environment, the GUI uses GTK (I think 15+ is on GTK3, and prior versions on GTK2). But all the DEs you mentioned are GTK-based. I don't believe Stata on Linux supports exporting the menu bar, however, but I might be wrong since I haven't tried doing that in particular on GTK desktops (I'd be surprised if it did, tho). I personally use Stata on KDE, which is QT-based, and it looks fine to me. So that depends on how sensitive you are to these types of aesthetics.

Comment

Thanks for your answer, Mauricio. It inspired me (a complete Linux novice) to have a closer look of the destinction between the various desktop environments (DE) of different Linux distributions. By the way a found a very helpful Linux guide for Windows users. Finally I decided to try MX Linux and Kubuntu 18.04.2 (an end of 2018 review of both can be found here).

Comment

Hi Dirk,

I commend your desire to switch to Linux. I have since moved back to a Windows environment for work, but have used Stata on Linux (and having a Linux version was one of the motivating factors to choosing Stata in the first place). My personal computer runs Stata on Ubuntu 18.04, and I have had no issues with its operation.

Comment

Not really answering your question, but might be of interest to some: I use Stata for Windows from within Linux (Ubuntu 18.10) using Wine. This also works flawlessly

Comment

Kubuntu was the second Linux desktop I tried and I can heartily recommend it, although I'm sure MX Linux has plenty to offer as well. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
            X