Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to compute difference in years between daily dates?

I have daily stock data, inputted and formatted properly for stata. I wish to calculate the return on that stock from one period to 1,2,3...10 years prior.

My current code is:
    Code:
    gen date = date(date_str,"YMD")
    format %td date
    tsset date

forvalues t=1(1)10 {
        local days = `t' * 365
        gen d`t'y_close = close - L`days'.close
    }

forvalues t=1(1)10 {
        di "`t' years return"
        di "number of days in which return was negative or zero"
        count if d`t'y_close <= 0
        di "total number of non missing days"
        count if d`t'y_close 
    }
    I have two questions regarding this:
    1. Currently, I manually calculate the number of days (as the data is daily) as products of 365 days a year and number of years I'm interested in. Is there a more elegant way to do so? a command that decreases X years from a given date, and handles leap years etc. appropriately?

2. Sometimes, "5 years prior" to a specific date falls on a day which doesn't exist in the data as there's no trade on this day (sunday, holidays, etc.). Is there a way to create an expression (i thought using cond but I think it's gonna amount to lots of nesting conds), in which the logic is "if X years prior to given date is missing, go the smallest amount of days backward and use that date instead"?

Thank you

There are probably more elegant solutions, but three options you might consider:

1) Since you have all trading days, you might use 250 trading days as your measure of a year (most years have 250, 251 or 252 trading days) rather than 365 or 366 calendar days.

2) I assume you pulled your data from CRSP or WRDS. If you have access to EVENTUS through WRDS, EVENTUS will take care of this for you.

3) There are several user-contributed commands that you could use: ascol (SSC) converts daily stock prices to annual returns. You might also look at asrol and asreg. rangerun and rangestat would also work. (All are on SSC)

Comment

Working...
    X