Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting factor notation into dummies.

Dear All,

I want to conduct a two-stage least squares regression using the ivreg2 command. I have quarterly data (26 quarters ) at the US state level (50 states). I want to include in my regression state specific quadratic time trends. So ideally I want to run:

ivreg y x1 x2 x3 i.qtr i.state i.state#(c.qtr c.qtrsq) (x4= z), first robust

However, I get an error:
    factor variables not allowed

What is the easiest way to convert the
    i.state#(c.qtr c.qtrsq) into dummies that I can include? Sorry if this is a very basic question...but I couldn't find an answer on the list and can't think of a clean solution...

Will greatly appreciate any help.
    Sincerely,
    Sumedha.

Let me first point out that if qtrsq is the square of qtr you weren't using the full potential of factor variable notation, which would have used i.state##c.qtr##c.qtr instead of i.state qtr i.state#(c.qtr c.qtrsq). Be that as it may, you can't use factor variable notation here.

Before there was factor variable notation, there was -xi-. And it's still around, for precisely these situations where you need to use a command that doesn't support factor variable notation. -help xi- will explain the details.

Comment

Working...
    X