No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Line Graph assistance

Hi,

I have read many papers on redistribution which have illustrated several graphs of total fiscal redistribution effects for each country over a specific period - all countries have their own graph with distribution effects displayed over the corresponding years.

When attempting to do this myself, I am using a dataset which I have imported from excel into stata. Within my dataset I have a set of countries with varying years (period from 1985 - 2010) so when I attempt to compose line graphs for the 12 countries, it will not let me do this (tsset year, generic) and I receive the subsequent response: .repeated time values in sample.

For instance, I import just the data for Canada and these are the commands which I run:
    tsset year, generic
    twoway (tsline tot_fisc_red)

Is there anyway I can use all my data and countries and run this to produce multiple graphs?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Best,

Craig

Well, the error message means exactly what it says. When you have a data set with multiple countries and multiple yearly observations of those countries, each year will appear more than once. That's not a time series. That's panel data. You need -xtset country year-, not -tsset year-. Then you can use -xtline tot_fisc_red- and you will get a graph for each country. Read -help xtline- for more details which will enable you to customize the graph (including all 12 lines in a single panel if you prefer it that way.)

Comment

Hi,

Thank you so much - I eventually realised and figured I would return to see whether anyone replied to my post.

Thank you Clyde

Comment

Working...
      X