Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking dropped observation counts

I am using Robert Picard's excellent project package. I would like to keep track of the number of observations dropped while cleaning and merging my data, along with the reasons.
    I know how to do the counts, but my question is how to keep track and generate a final tally.
    It can be written to the logs, but then I have to manually go and extract them from the logs.
    If I append them to a separate file (e.g. a text file), I will have an issue when one file that drops observations is edited and another file is not, since the non-edited file may not be re-run (if nothing it depends on is changed, which is managed by project), and the counts will get lost.
    I was thinking along the line of a .dta file with a variable for each of the different drop reasons, so that the counts can each be changed individually, but this seems like a very "hacky" solution. Also, the project package doesn't seem to have a way to handle a file that will be changed by more than one do-file.

I would love to hear any suggestions.
    Thank you!

I typically use notes to record the number of observations dropped and relevant explanations in the modified dataset. As the do-file is run, you can keep a tally of how many observations have been dropped and also add a final count in a note (a good practice would be to double check that the final tally matches the difference between the initial observation count and the final count).

You are describing a situation where original data undergoes modifications via multiple do-files. I do that all the time but it would be quite illogical for a subsequent do-file to overwrite what was created by an earlier do-file. If you are trying to append annotations created by multiple do-files, save each annotation set separately (one per do-file) and then append them in a separate do-file to produce a final count.

Comment

trackobs (SSC) is along the lines of notes. It does not store explanations and I have no idea whether and how it might be combined with project.

Best
      Daniel

Comment

Thank you both for those suggestions!
        I'm going to look into both of those options now.

Comment

Working...
        X