No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• install ado files

Hello,

I am trying to install some ado files which I downloaded from a website in my stata. I read about it that I should copy the files into the "Base" or "personal" or "Plus" directory (I tried all ) and then use ssc install. But it does not work and I get "ssc install: "meanes" not found at SSC,". Can anyone help?

Thanks

Code:
    search meanes
    does not return any results, so I assume that you have indeed downloaded one (or more) files from some unknown source. If this is so, forget about ssc; the latter only installs packages that are hosted on the SCC (as the command name implies).

Type in Stata

Code:
    adopath
    Look for something like

Code:
    [5]  (PLUS)      "c:\ado\plus/"
    that is: find the PLUS directory. Then, copy the ado-file (and possibly other files) into that directory. The directory should have sub-directories. If you have downloaded meanes.ado, you need to put it into c:/ado/plus/m, assuming that c:/ado/plus is the PLUS directory on your machine. If there is a meanes.sthlp file, copy this file, too.

Now, restart Stata or return to Stata and type

Code:
    discard
    You should now be able to call meanes just like any other command.

Best
    Daniel

Comment

First off, never, ever install user-written ado files in BASE. That is for StataCorp code only. If you do that you may mess up official Stata code and you'll make it harder to copy what you've installed to any other computer should you wish to do that.

Second off, much of the point of ssc is that it knows where to put files. Where you are working from is not material.

Third, there is no package meanes on SSC and I can't find it anywhere else. Where did you see it mentioned?

Comment

Dear Daniel,

Thank you so much, it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cox View Post
          First off, never, ever install user-written ado files in BASE. That is for StataCorp code only. If you do that you may mess up official Stata code and you'll make it harder to copy what you've installed to any other computer should you wish to do that.

Second off, much of the point of ssc is that it knows where to put files. Where you are working from is not material.

Third, there is no package meanes on SSC and I can't find it anywhere else. Where did you see it mentioned?
          thanks for your input Nick

Comment

Working...
          X