Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my Stata graph get messy when converting word file to PDF file?

Dear All
    After creating my graph for impulse response functions in Stata, I run the following code
    Code:
    *graph save IRF,replace
    *graph export IRF.emf, replace
    I then use insert picture from Word to incorporate the figure in my word document.

The problem is that when I convert the word document to PDF, the figure gets messy. The only way to avoid this problem is to insert the figure as an image in word but the quality of the figure becomes much lower.

What is the best way to have good quality Stata figures in word that do not get messy when the word file is converted into PDF?

Thanks

Mike: Others will likely have better suggestions, but my standard approach is to save the Stata graph as a pdf, insert the pdf into the Word document, then convert that Word document into pdf. I haven't tested it formally but it seems generally to yield clear images in the final pdf document. One downside is that if the graph is representing a lot of data the saved pdf graph and the final Word document can be large.

Comment

I have had that problem before and is usually related to the software used for PDFs transformation.
      when I use -word- transformation, I get the same problem, but I have not had that problem using adobe acrobat
      hth
      Fernando

Comment

I have found that saving a graph as svg rather than emf produces a 'clean' graph in Word 365 and exports to PDF satisfactorily.
        Martyn

Comment

Part of the answer would seem to be about the conversion of .emf to .pdf within, or by, MS Word. People here may know about that, or it may be covered in a Microsoft forum somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by FernandoRios View Post
            I have had that problem before and is usually related to the software used for PDFs transformation.
            when I use -word- transformation, I get the same problem, but I have not had that problem using adobe acrobat
            hth
            Fernando
            I actually get the problem on different computers with different word versions. This usually happens when the grapgh has many combined figures (e.g. impulse response functions).

I am also using an older version of Stata (Stata 11). svg does not seem to be possible with this version?

Are there any other tricks to have better quality graphs in word which keep their quality when word is converted into pdf?

Comment

Working...
            X