• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repeated time values within panel

Dear statalisters, I am asking you for help because when I run
    Code:
    xtset firm year
    I receive a message saying "repeated time values within panel".
    What thats mean? I have two variables related with dates, one if the year of the observation and the other is a date of companies incorporation. I changed the formating of the date of incorporation in order that is a number of days but still have the problem.
    Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Alejandro

Alejandro:
    the message means exactly what it tells you: you have 2 or more observations belonging to the same panel which were measured repeatedly during the same year.
    I would first try to shed light on that issue via -isid-.
    If you do not have duplicates (ie, mistakenly repeated data entry for the same observations during the same year) but what you experienced is simple a feature of your dataset, and assuming that you're not interested in using time-series commands asuch as lags and leads, you can -xtset- your data with -paneid- only:
    Code:
    xtset firm
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Dear Lazzaro, thank you for your clear answer. I am going to check if there are any duplicates.
      One more question please, may I use xtreg or xtlogit only after
      Code:
      xtset firm
      ?
      thank you very much again.
      Alejandro

Comment

Alejandro:
        yes.
        Data -xtset-ing is mandatory before running any panel data regression in Stata.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

To add to Carlo's suggestions, you might look at the duplicates command as well. Sometimes, missing values for dates can generate this problem.

Comment

Working...
          X