Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find data points lying above regression line within distance less than max[1SE, 1mm]?

Hello Statalists,

I have data points (units in mm) and have performed regression on it. Now I need to find the data points whose distance above the regression line is less than a certain criteria i.e. max[1SE, 1mm]. max[..]is the maximum of parameters in bracket, SE is standard error of regression, defined as square root of residual mean square. As I am novice to stata, I am not very familiar with its commands. So, if anyone can help me in writing the code for the following, it shall be a big help.

Thanks in advance!

So it sounds like you want to do something like this:

Code:
    run your regression here
    predict resid, resid
    gen byte wanted = (resid < max(e(rmse), 1))

Comment

Thanks Clyde! Can you pls explain the command for me to understand the purpose of byte wanted. Also, does max(e(rmse), 1) include both the conditions, i.e., (i) 1 standard error and (ii) distance of 1mm from regression line.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

You did not specify in your original question how you wanted to "find" the points you wanted. So I chose to respond by creating a new variable, which I gave the name "wanted" which would be 1 for those points that met your conditions, and 0 for those that did not. The mention of "byte" in the command is completely optional and just tells Stata to only use 1 byte of storage to hold that variable. You could omit that, and the only difference is that Stata would use more memory--but not enough that you would notice the difference. It's just an old habit of mine: I started computer programming a long time ago when memory was scarce and very expensive, so I formed habits of minimizing the amount of it I used. In the modern world this sort of thing isn't really necessary.

And yes, the condition max(e(rmse), 1) includes both conditions. 1 speaks for itself. e(rmse) is where the root mean squared error is found after a regression.

Comment

Got it and it worked! Thank you very much Clyde. It's been a big help as I have been stuck with this for so long!
          Two more things that I would like to
          know are: Instead of 1standard error, if I need to change it to 2standard error, will it be written as: gen byte wanted = (lp < max(e(rmse2), 1)) . If not, what would be the correct way to write it.

Also, can you tell me that how can I find the slope of regression line.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Code:
            gen byte wanted = (lp < max(2*e(rmse), 1))
            Also, can you tell me that how can I find the slope of regression line.
            Run -help regress-. Near the top of the window that opens there is a link "(View complete PDF manual entry)." Click on that to open the PDF manual section on the -regress- command. Click on the Remarks and Examples link and read the first example That will explain how to read the output you get.

Comment

Working...
            X