Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to add ifxed effects for a model but unsure how to go about it.

Hi,
    I am doing a project where I am looking at state incarceration rates for the year 2016. I am looking at how gov spending per students (Educost), unemployment rate (unemploy), and percentage of non-white population (Whitepop) affect state by state prison populations.
    I think i need to take into account fixed effects when iI'm running my regression becasue of the inherent diffences in each state and thought I would do:
    "Prispop Educost Unemploy Whitepop e, fe"
    but stata cant understand my e or ,fe term
    Can someone please help me?
    Thanks!

first, please read the FAQ for advice on asking questions and advice on your presentation

second, what is "e"; if you mean it to be the error term, then (a) no need to add as Stata will do it automatically; (b) in Stata syntax, "e" must be the name of a variable; is it? (c) "fe" as an option is allowed only when you want to have no random effects; is that what you want

third, I repeat, please read the FAQ

Comment

Ashly:
      welcome to this forum.
      As Rich pointed out, you should first become familiar with both FAQ and Stata commands (for the latter, I would recommend you to read carefully the Stata .pdf manual that should have come with your copy of Stata).
      Admittedly, your code is far from working with Stata.
      As per your (a bit unclear) description, you may be interested in -help poisson-. However, I'm not clear with what you mean by state fixed effects here. Do you mean a categorical variable with n-1 level (one level=one state) as a predictor? If that were the case, see -help fvvarlist-.
      Kind regards,
      Carlo
      (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

To add to Carlo's suggestion, you might first read the Stata documentation Getting Started, Users Guide, and then Longitudinal Data/Panel Data. Many of the standard estimators are in the Base Reference manual (regress etc.).

Comment

Working...
        X