No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Risk Using STPM2

Dear All,

I would like to predict a conditonal risk for a recurrence at 6 months after having had no recurrence at 3 months using stpm2 and the predict command.

stpm2 x y, scale(hazard) df(z) eform

gen time3m = 3

predict hazard3months = hazard timevar(time3m)

gen time6m = 6

predict hazard6months = hazard timevar(time6m)

The problem occuring when following the steps as provided by Paul Dickman (https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...ival-modelling) is that all values after

gen = hazard6months / hazard3months

are of the the same value. So I merely receive a horizontal line when plotting the graph against age.

I would be very grateful for any advice how to overcome this issue.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Maria Smolle

You'll increase your chances of a useful answer by following the FAQ on asking questions - provide Stata code in code delimiters, readable Stata output, and sample data using dataex.

You're using a user-written procedure. It is possible that no one active on this list uses it. User written procedures may also not necessarily interact well with Stata procedures. I don't use it, but the documentation says

timevar(varname) time variable used for predictions; default is timevar(_t)

This seems to mean that timevar should be a variable. By giving it a specific value, you may be making all the predictions for that value (and get no variance). You may want to at() instead.

Comment

Dear Phil Bromiley,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions!

I have followed the instructions for conditional survival as suggested by Paul Dickman in a previous post (and substituted "survival" by "hazard").

Attached is the code for 3 and 6 month conditional hazard as caluclated with the "colon.dta" dataset.

Code:
      *conditional 3 and 6 month hazard*

stset surv_mm, failure(status=1,2) scale(12) id(id) exit(time 60.5)
      gen _age = min(int(age + _t),99)
      gen _year = int(yydx + _t)

generate t3 = 0.25
      generate t6 = 0.5

stpm2 age, df(4) scale(hazard) eform

predict h3, hazard timevar(t3)

predict h6, hazard timevar(t6)

gen h63 = h6 /h3

twoway hist h63
      I am aware of the fact that with the colon dataset, displaying of hazards is not very sensible - I am merely giving the example for viewing purposes.

When changing the "hazard" to "survival", the conditional survival can be easily calculated (and depicted in a histogram).

Code:
      *conditional 3 and 6 month survival*

stset surv_mm, failure(status=1,2) scale(12) id(id) exit(time 60.5)
      gen _age = min(int(age + _t),99)
      gen _year = int(yydx + _t)

generate t3 = 0.25
      generate t6 = 0.5

stpm2 age, df(4) scale(hazard) eform

predict s3, survival timevar(t3)

predict s6, survival timevar(t6)

gen s63 = s6 /s3

twoway hist s63

In order to answer my question, I would need to know the conditional hazard - i.e. "a patient had no recurrence of the tumour at 3 months - what is their risk of having a recurrence at 6 months"?

With Kind regards,

Maria Smolle

Comment

Hi Maria,

I am not sure if I really understand what you are trying to calculate and why you are trying to use hazard functions rather than probabilities. The hazard is a rate, not a probability. It is also a conditional measure. In your example you have calculated the instantaneous mortality rate at 3 and 6 months, i.e. the mortality rate for those still at risk at 3 or 6 months.

It appears you want to estimate the probability of having an event for individuals still at risk after a specific point in time. You can use a conditional survival function as you have done in your second chunk of code. Your code above give the probability of still be alive (not having the event) at 6 months given you are still alive at 3 months. The probability of being dead (having the event) at 6 months given you are alive at 3 months is simply 1- s6/s3.

Paul

Comment

Dear Prof. Lambert,

Thank you very much for your response and the valuable comments!

I have had a complete error in reasoning regarding rates and hazards - which has been solved by your explanation.

With the code you provided, I could answer my question.

Thank you again for your time.

With kind regards,

Maria

Comment

Working...
          X