Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Confidence intervals to median spline

I would like to add 95% confidence intervals to a median spline. It does not appear to be an option of mspline and the other confidence interval shading options seem to be determined by a regression plot

for example,

Code:
    use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r13/auto, clear
    tw (qfitci mpg weight, nofit fintensity(10)) (scatter mpg weight, msize(*.5)) (mspline mpg weight)
    Is there a way to have the shading determined by the spline as opposed to the quadratic regression?

That's not as desirable as you might think. The essence of Stata's median spline is to slice the (x, y) space into so many vertical bands, calculate medians of y and x within each band, and then join up the medians with some kind of spline, cubic I imagine. What you can tune is just the number of bands.

That often works well when what you're plotting is in principle a smooth curve and graphically you want ... a smooth curve.

It can be a quick and dirty way of looking for pattern in bivariate data.

But it's not strongly statistical. There is no idea, as I understand it, of weighting or in any other way considering the number of points or the variability within each band.

All that said, I don't know any way to get this easily.

If you want some data-driven smoother than data fit, I would reach for a different spline procedure, fractional polynomials, or (personal favourite) local polynomials.

Comment

Working...
    X