No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bar graphs with brackets to indicate statistical significance

Dear statalist members,

I would like to produce a bar graph with the (mean) differences for two different variables between two treatment groups. Producing this graph is not a problem; however, I would like to indicate the statistical significance of the (mean) differences between the treatments for each variable by using brackets and some text_options (?) (i.e., n.s. or the corresponding asterisks and/or the p-values). I attached two exemplary bar graphs, which I found online from other forums.

How can I modify the following code to insert such brackets?
    graph bar variable_a variable_b, over(treatment) ///
    legend(label(1 "aa") label(2 "bb")) ///

I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Many thanks and best,
    Tugba
    Attached Files
    I use a bar graph to indicate the data of each group. Some of these bars differ significantly from each other. How can I indicate the significant difference in the bar plot? import numpy as np imp...

You won't be able to do this using the graph command but with some work, you can do it with twoway. See the following:

https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...raphs-in-stata

Comment

Dear Andrew,

thank you very much for your suggestion. I eventually decided to update the figure with the free vectors graphic editor Inkscape.

Best,
      T

Comment

Dear Stata Users,

I want to draw the bar chart showing the cigarette brands smoked by gender. However, I do not know how to show significant differences in cigarette brands smoked between males and females? How can I show the significant differences on a bar graph? The cigarette brand is a categorical variable of 5 brands of cigarettes, and gender is a dummy variable which equals 1 if a respondent is male and 0 if a female.

Regards,
        Pokothoane

Comment

I would really like to follow-up on Tugba's post? I appreciate Andrew's redirect, but I'm just not sure how to do the same thing on the bar twoway space and it also seems like a really painful workaround.

Could anyone help? I'd like to make exactly the same graphs Tugba wanted.

Comment

Two scatteri calls, one with option -recast(line)- and the second with option -recast(dropline)- and a defined base should do it.

Code:
            sysuse pop2000, clear
            replace maletotal = maletotal/1e+6
            tw (bar maletotal agegrp in 1/5) ///
               (scatteri 10.75 2 10.75 3,  recast(line) lw(medthick)  mc(none) lc(black) lp(solid)) ///
               (scatteri 10.75 2 10.75 3,  recast(dropline) base(10.6) lw(medthick) mc(none) lc(black) lp(solid)), ///
               ysc(r(., 11)) scheme(s1mono) leg(off)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph.png
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1645000

Comment

Thank you, Andrew!

Comment

Where are the numbers "
                scatteri 10.75 2 10.75 3, " from? People want to learn and never understand it.

Comment

Code:
                  scatteri 10.75 2 10.75 3, recast(line)
                  comes from looking at the graph and thinking that a straight line is needed between (10.75, 2) and (10.75, 3).

In #6 find the horizontal y = 10.75 and the vertical x = 2 and where they intersect as the point (10.75, 2) -- and so on.

A scatteri call without a recast() would give you individual points on a scatter plot. recast(line) converts two points to a line segment.

They are user choices, not results of other commands.

Comment

This code add bracket to the graph, however, the significance is still not available.

Comment

Indeed. You need extra code to write text on the graph. See

Code:
                      help added text options

Comment

Thank you! I really tried with the code below, however, the number didn't come out.
                        clear
                        sysuse pop2000, clear
                        replace maletotal = maletotal/1e+6
                        tw (bar maletotal agegrp in 1/5) (scatteri 10.55 2 10.55 3, recast(line) ///
                        lw(medthick) mc(none) lc(black) lp(solid)) (scatteri 10.55 2 10.55 3, ///
                        recast(dropline) base(10.52) lw(medthick) mc(none) lc(black) lp(solid)), ///
                        ysc(r(., 11)) scheme(s1mono) leg(off) ///
                        text(2.5 10.52 "6789", place(n))

Comment

You have the coordinates the wrong way round.

Comment

I am sorry that I really don't know how to add the texts above the flat line although I adjusted the coordinate to make the graph beautiful.

Comment

The text should be at 10.52 2.5 presumably not 2.5 10.52.

Comment

Working...
                              X