Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploratory data analyses (EDA) by Buchanan - can't get it to run

Trying to get the examples of the above mentioned ado-package to run without luck. I've tried different folder options. Would appreciate if someone could try the same commands - maybe it's a local problem.

Code:
    net inst eda, from(http://wbuchanan.github.io/eda)

ssc install tuples //three dependencies listed in the package
    ssc install spineplot
    ssc install estout

sysuse auto.dta, clear //trying to run example from the package
    eda, r(`"`c(pwd)'/edaexamples"') o("minexample") comp
    //varlist not allowed
    //r(101);

Did you create the subdirectory /edaexamples? Quoting William Buchanan (https://github.com/wbuchanan/eda/issues/4), "if the value passed to the root parameter is a directory that does not already exist the program will fail". If you insert the line
    Code:
    mkdir `c(pwd)'/edaexamples
    the program should run.

Comment

brewscheme is also a dependency and provides one of the programs used internally (dirfile.ado). I’m assuming this was the user MatixR from github? In either case, check which version of brewscheme is on your system (if any).

Comment

I ran an example earlier this morning to help clarify things, but my battery died before I could post it. I’ll try to post it tomorrow to help illustrate things a bit more clearly.

Comment

Thank you for following up. I did the mkdir and ensured that the folders are writable (never had an issue regarding that before). Also, brewscheme is installed.

I suspect, however, that the errors pertained to my corporate setup and it seems like brewscheme was the problem. Following some of the advice in this thread, I managed to get eda to run.

Comment

Can you share some of the details that you ran into so I can incorporate it into the appropriate documentation for others?

Comment

I tried various things, but I suspect what made it work was:
              - Running Stata as an administrator
              - brecolordb, rep

Unfortunately I can't provide you with more details as I didn't log the session. I'll keep the need for documentation in mind the next time.

At least that solved it on my local version of Stata (which is also on a corporate setup). I also have a server version which is not connected to the internet. On the latter it seems like brewscheme doesn't run due to the lack of connection.

Comment

The lack of internet connection would definitely be problematic for brewscheme since it fetches color palettes from the color brewer website when it builds the initial dataset and does the same if you install the custom colors from XKCD. Now I just need to remember to add that information in the project README to make sure others are aware of it on the front end.

Comment

I am having the same problem and unable to get it solved. Can anyone here help out?

Comment

Fahad Mirza
                    I’m not sure what the specific issue is that you are facing, but if you could create an issue in the GitHub repository it will make it easier for me to keep track of things and look into them for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X