Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Modeling + fixed effects as robustness

Hi. I am running a mixed model with stata mixed command on 174000 firms in 20 years across 60 countries. I include the random intercepts of country, industry and year. What will be the advantage of running the model with panel data fixed effects (xtreg) as robustness check?

Ali:
    I think it might be questionable, if random effect is the right specification.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thanks Carlo,

So you think that is not necessary? Why will it be questionable?

Comment

Ali:
        if the random effect is the correct specification, -fe- will be consistent but inefficient.
        That's the reason why I think it may questionable.
        However, it is also true that many publications reports both -re- and -fe- models, especially when the dependent variable is continuous (if feasible).
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thanks Carlo.

I can show the results of both random and fixed effects, or I can find which one is more efficient using Hausman test. By the way, this is a robustness test of my mixed model.

My question in fact is whether such a thing is appropriate as a robustness for mixed models (whether they are fixed or random effects)???

Comment

Ali:
            if you went -mixed-, you should have tested beforehand that -re- specification was the right one for your data, as -mixed- is equivalent to -xtreg, re mle-.
            Kind regards,
            Carlo
            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thanks Carlo

Comment

Working...
              X