No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import R-data into Stata

Dear all,

I have a data set produced in R called (test.Rdata) and would like to import into Stata. The data set was produced in R-in Windows. My idea was to read the data first using R in my Mac (OSX: High sierra, version: 10.13.6) (R-version: R 3.5.1) and use R-foreign package to write the data file in Stata-format and then read through Stata. I have tried with the R-foreign package in my R but getting error message (please see below the R-syntax). Can anyone please possibly help with what I am doing wrong here.

Code:
    setwd("/Users/kirk/Desktop/My_files/") #directory set up

> library (foreign)

> write.dta(test,"Mydata.dta")

Error in is.data.frame(dataframe) : object 'test' not found
    Stata version: 15.2

Roman

I'm sure it can be done in R. But, you may just want to check out this website. It can handle a lot of things and it is easy to use.

https://gallery.shinyapps.io/rioweb/
    -------------------------------------------
    Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
    Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
    WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

Thanks Richard. No luck in this too. The file uploads okay and then showing this message after selecting "Stata" from the list and clicking download button: "File not found. An error occurred during a connection to gallery.shinyapps.io.".

Roman

Comment

Does the file work ok in R? You are sure it isn't corrupted?
        -------------------------------------------
        Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
        Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
        WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

It does not show any error message when I load it with load function (I am very fundamental with R).:

Code:
          //R-command:

load("test.RData")
          And then if I want to see the variables with the following command, it shows NULL! :

Code:
          names("test")
          NULL
          But the size of the dataset shows 18megabyte!
          Last edited by Roman Mostazir; 10 Sep 2018, 18:39. Reason: Adding further information
          Roman

Comment

Try

write.dta (test, file="mydata.dta")

​​​​

Comment

Thanks Dario. I think the file is corrupt. It is showing the same error.

Code:
              > write.dta (test, file="mydata.dta")
              Error in is.data.frame(dataframe) : object 'test' not found
              Thanks again for your help.
              Roman

Comment

Maybe not. May this help?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...uld-i-fix-this

Comment

This is not a Stata question. You question refers to a problem in using R -- thus you should first try to solve the R problem, perhaps through the R-Help mailing list (although the list is not as friendly and helpful as the Stata Forum).

I don't know whether I understand
                  I am very fundamental with R
                  correctly: Do you have fundamental knowledge or not? At any rate, you should take the R error message seriously: R does not recognize 'test' as being a dataframe. As a start you can try
                  Code:
                  names(test)
                  str(test)
                  to locate the problem. Do all columns of the dataframe have names? Does the structure of the dataframe seem to be OK?

I will not follow this thread further -- try the R-Help mailing list.

Comment

Re: Dirk Enzmann

I think this does become a Stata question when is framed as: "How do you read a .Rdata file in Stata?". Indeed, Roman stated the question in a relevant way for this forum: "Import R-data into Stata".

Comment

It is rarely best practice to try to read a binary file that is native to one software package into a different package. Typically, it is very straightforward to transfer data between different software packages using an interchange format. In this case I would recommend the .csv format. Just go into R and output the data set as a .csv file with write.csv, then read the data into Stata with insheet using.

Comment

Oh, and in R, don't forget to set the missing string to the empty string, otherwise you'll get a bunch of "NA" strings in Stata. These can be difficult to work with.

Code:
                        write.csv(..., na="")

Comment

Working...
                        X