No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multilevel fixed effects (-reghdfe-)

Hello Statalisters,

I Have a strongly balanced short panel (t=3) data and over 3000 observations in each panel. I am trying to run a village level fixed effects instead of a household fixed effect (I want the mean deviation transformation of the variables to be based on village means not household means but I also want to control for the household fixed effects). Here is my syntax:

HTML Code:
       reghdfe y1 x1  [pweight=pw], a(village household) cluster(village)

Am I doing it right? I cannot help it but think that I am not.

I am also interested in the between villages effects estimation. I have mean collapsed my data by village and run OLS. Is there a built-in way of accessing the between effects for -eghdfe-?

Any help is much appreciated.

Yonatan

Do households move between villages? If not, the village fixed effect is redundant. You can obtain the fixed effects from reghdfe (see -help reghdfe-), but I think these are not consistently estimated, so whether you should is a big question.

Comment

Thanks a lot Jesse. No. The households are nested within the villages.
      I am not interested in the fixed effect. I am rather interested in the ratio of the coefficient on one of my explanatory variables obtained from a within (fe) and a between effects regressions.

would this ratio be consistent?

Thanks again! Helped much!

Comment

You can always replace the absorb part from (household) to (time), which effectively gives you the between regression and then calculate the ratio yourself. Whether this ratio is meaningful, I have no idea, but there might be literature about this?

Comment

Thank you Jesse!
          You saved me a lot of for and gave me clarity.

There is actually. It’s a contrast estimator for peer effects. Boozer & Cacciola (2001)

Comment

Working...
          X