No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• increasing the graph resolution for publication

Dear Stata team,
    I was trying to increase the graph resolution for publication. The minimum required resolution is 300 dpi.
    I used the following but it didn't work, the test is still showing low resolution (96)
    graph export mygraph.tif, width(10000)
    I also tried exporting to eps, it passed the test of resolution but the numbers in the graph didn't look good at all so I thought tiff might be better

thank you very much
    Umama

Your code should work, so I expect the problem is not with Stata.

What operating system are you using?

I can't speak for Linux or Mac, but Windows often reduces graphic resolution if you copy and paste from a high resolution file. So, even if your .tif file is very high resolution, Windows can reduce a copy of it to lower resolution.

Red Owl
    Stata/IC 15.1, Windows 10 (64-bit)

Comment

I am using Windows. Right after I export to tif, I use rapid inspector program to open the tif directly and do the test. it always gives a message that it has a low resolution. so I didn't copy the picture.

Comment

It's good that you are not copying and pasting, but I don't know why this is not working with Rapid Inspector. I still think the problem occurs after Stata has produced the high-resolution tif file.

Can you load open the tif file in a different image editor (like http://www.irfanview.com) and view the resolution? I just created a tif file using your syntax, and then opened the tif file in IrfanView. That showed my resolution was 10000 X 6667 X 24 bps. So Stata indeed produced the tif file as specified in my case.

Red Owl
        Stata/IC 15.1, Windows 10 (64-bit)

Comment

One option to consider is to produce an SVG file. Scalable vector graphics, or SVG, files, are graphics whose elements are parameterized. This means you can open an SVG file with any sensible graphics editor (I use Gimp) and specify the physical dimensions and resolution of the file you want and the graphic will be enlarged to the desired size.

I'm not at my computer or I would provide a reproducible example, but can do so tomorrow if desired.

Comment

For more on the control of the resolution of graph exports, see my comment under #5 here.
            But, note that my remarks about transparency under #10 are now outdated since Stata implemented the opacity parameter of colors.
            http://publicationslist.org/eric.melse

Comment

Working...
            X