Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teffects psmatch with caliper and atet generates unrealistic common support region?

Hi all,

I want to compare the effects from ATE and ATET in propensity score and nearest neighbor matching estimations. I set a caliper to eliminate some observations and satisfy the common support requirement. For both commands this takes some iteration before the errors stop (see below), and at the end t he number of eliminated observations differ (which I understand).

a) teffects psmatch (y) (treatment matching_vars*, probit), caliper(0.005) vce(iid) osample(osample_ate#)
    ...teffects psmatch (y) (treatment matching_vars*, probit) if osample_ate# == 0, caliper(0.005) vce(iid)

b) teffects psmatch (y) (treatment matching_vars*, probit), caliper(0.005) vce(iid) osample(osample_atet#) atet
    ...teffects psmatch (y) (treatment matching_vars*, probit) if osample_atet# == 0, caliper(0.005) vce(iid) atet

After a) and b) I generated graphs to show the common support (see below):
    teffects overlap, ptlevel(1)
    (ATE) Click image for larger version

Name:	overlap whole ate.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1453168 (ATET)Click image for larger version

Name:	overlap whole atet.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	1453167

Question 1: Why are observations with very low propensity scores from the control croup NOT eliminated when doing the atet estimation? The graph clearly shows that this sample is unbalanced. Can I still use it as it is?

Question 2: How do I set the caliper for teffects nnmatch? It does not use propensity scores so the rule of caliper = 0.2*sd(propensity core) does not work here. Most of my observations are eliminated at that value.

Best,
    Robin
Working...
X