Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piecewise Linear Regression, Linear predictor is time with only four time points.

Hello, Statalist Users,

This is an exploratory question: Is it possible to carry out a piecewise linear model in which the linear predictor (time in this case) only has four time points? The outcome at each time point is a score. I want three slope segments so that I can compare the equality of the middle slope between two or more groups.

Seems like I need a continuous predictor with a greater range that I can then divide into segments. Though time is continuous, those four time points are basically discrete in my thinking.

Alternative approaches are welcome.

D

-help mkspline-

Create a linear spline with knots at the second and third time periods. Use all three spline variables as predictors in your regression and you will get the slopes for time periods 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4. You can do comparisons with the -test- or -lincom- commands.

Comment

Thanks much.

So when I graph this I'll get three slopes, correct? Also, when using -test- to compare slopes for two different groups (binary covariate), is it necessary to precede -test- with -suest-?

Comment

So when I graph this I'll get three slopes, correct?
        Well, graphing this will be a bit of an ordeal because you have three variables for time to deal with, but yes, after you slog through it you will get a piecewise linear graph with three segments.

Also, when using -test- to compare slopes for two different groups (binary covariate), is it necessary to precede -test- with -suest-?
        Um, I don't understand why you are asking this in this context. There is only one regression equation, so nothing for -suest- to do. This makes me think you have misunderstood my earlier advice. You do not do three separate regressions on the spline variables. You include all three of them as predictors in a single regression.

Comment

Sorry, Clyde. With respect to my last question I was thinking of running two separate regressions with an if statement so that I could compare the difference in slope between two or more groups just on the second segment. That's why I asked about the suest command. I think I understand now what should be done, though I think I would have to adapt it to work with panel data using mixed. I see that you've assisted another individual with that question in the past.

Thanks,
          David

Comment

Hello David. If you have access to Michael Mitchell's book Interpreting and Visualizing Regression Models Using Stata, see chapter 12, Piecewise by categorical interactions. HTH.
            --
            Bruce Weaver
            Email: [email protected]
            Web: http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
            Version: Stata/MP 18.0 (Windows)

Comment

Thanks, Bruce.

Comment

Working...
              X