No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generating a frequency variable & t-test on frequencies

Hi Everyone,
    I am using Italian Time Use data and I would like to compute the fraction/percentage of people who reported a given activity (i.e. those that spent a positive time on activity X on year y) and then I would like to test if there exist differences between the two years of interest.
    To this end, I have generated a dummy variable for each activity, such that it takes value 1 if time devoted to X is >0 and zero otherwise. Hence my questions are:
    - is there a way to have a variables that tells me the fraction of 1 for a given variable in a given year?
    -Can I perform a t-test on the difference on the fraction of 1 between these two year using test, by(year)?
    Thank you in advance
    Andrea

Hi Andrea,

It sounds to me like you want to compare two proportions, and not two means (as is the case for t-tests). It sounds like you have measured the proportion of individuals who did activity X (during year Y) and you have it measured for two different years. For this, you will want to do a test of proportions which can be implemented using the Stata command --prtest--. If your data are paired, in other words, if it is the SAME individuals observed in year 1 and year 2, then a paired test (McNemar's) is warranted and can be done using the stats command --mcc--.

Let me know if this isn't clear or if you need further guidance.

Comment

Hi Matt,
      thank You a lot for your answer. It is correct what you're saying, I need to test whether the "participation rate" to activity X has changed through the two waves...However I have one time diary for each individual and individuals are NOT the same across the two waves. Furthermore, I computed the frequencies through the command tab. Can I carry out the prtest anyway? Is there another command to compute and store the relative frequencies (especially when the dummy=1)?
      Thank you again

Comment

HI Andrea,

If the individuals are not the same across waves you can compare the proportions a number of ways, such as with the Pearson's chi-squared test, Fisher's exact test, Z-test of two proportions...

See the following code for a toy example:
        Code:
        webuse nhanes2
        tab2 sex diabetes , chi2 exact
        prtest diabetes , by(sex)

Comment

Hi Matt,
          thank you a lot. I am using the prtest which is what I needed since I can use it with estpost.
          Thank you again
          Andrea

Comment

Working...
          X