Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed Wald Chi2 due to dummy variables and variables which are only available for one time period

Dear Statalist community,

As part of my thesis I am doing Random-Effects Models (I have tested it with Breusch and Pagan Lagrange-Multiplier and it says the REM is okay) and DiD Estimations.
    Unfortunately, I am running out of time and got some unexpected new output from my data since I created a new dummyvariable (x1, x2, x3).

I use:
    by se, sort: xtreg success age sex happy children pets per x1 x2 x3 dis aim sum car hours loan, re

Variables:
    x3 always gets omitted due to collinearity and I have no idea why.
    (Would it make sense to delete it? But actually I don't have any reason for that except of the collinearity which I can't explain. Or can I solve the problem otherwise so it doesn't get omitted?)
    Moreover I have two variables which are only relevant for se = 2!
    Moreover, I want to use the REM, because in the Fixed-effects model more than half of my variables get omitted due tu collinearity (most of them are time invariant).

Wald chi2 / Prob > chi2 = . :
    You can see the problem in the two pictures. I receive dots/missing values for Wald chi2 and consequently for Prob > chi2.
    I have read that the Prob > chi2 value had to be < 0.05 for the model to be okay. Otherwise, I won't be allowed to use the models and its output. [due to https://www.princeton.edu/~otorres/Panel101.pdf] (Please correct me, if there is something wrong.)
    So I have no idea how to evaluate this models output.
    Do you know and can you help me how I am able to either receive values for the Wald chi2 and for the Prob > chi2 to analyze my results or how I am able to continue my work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 11.09.28 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1448148
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 11.09.40 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1448149

Thank you very much in advance!!

Eva:
    - I would assume that your problem rests on the dummy you created;
    - going -re- because -fe- (as expected) wipes out all your time-invariant parameters might be hazardous if you have not investigated (via -hausman-) whether -fe- specification fits your data better that -re- specification:
    - collinearity is a matter of fact and there's nothing you can do but change your regression model;
    - the omitted Wald test may be explained by singletons in your dataset (see -help j_robustsingular-).
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thank you very much for your helpful answer, Carlo Lazzaro!

I have checked the hausmantest. If I keep those variables it tells me to use the -re-. If I drop all of the omitted variables it would change into the -fe-.
      So I will try to find another way.

Comment

Eva:
        in order to avoid re-inventing the wheel and propose a regression model than may give an improper representation of the data generating process, I would also take a look at the literature in your research field and see what others did in the past when presented with the same research goal.
        Last edited by Carlo Lazzaro; 08 Jun 2018, 05:48.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Working...
        X