No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractional logit model - unbalanced panel - two-way fixed effects

Hello,

I am using panel data, my panel is unbalanced.
    I observe N=773 cohorts over T=39 time periods.
    the number of observations is 5090 and on average each cohort is observed 6.6 times.

My dependent variable is fractional (0-1)
    my independent variables are mostly continuous, one is also fractional (0-1).

I am interested in the effects of the IV on the DV while holding time and country fixed
    The cohorts are created based on individuals who have the year of birth & country in common.

I suspect my model could suffer from heteroskedasticity.

Searching the internet, I found two commands:

Code:
    1. following the paper Papke & Wooldridge
    http://people.stern.nyu.edu/wgreene/Econometrics/Papke-Wooldridge-FractionalResponse.pdf

glm DV IVs i.country i.year i.oldcountry##c.year, fam(bin) link(logit) robust

2. using a population-averaged model

xtgee DV IVs i.country i.year i.country##c.year, family(bin) link(logit) corr(independent) i(idcode) t(timevar) vce(robust)
    My question is:
    1. from my understanding, (1) only applies to balanced panels, is there an extension / similar approach for unbalanced panels?
    2. I am not sure whether (2) is a good specification because it is using
    population-averages? (if it wasn't for the fractional DV, I would go with a fixed effect model because of the unobserved heterogeneity. Is PA more like a RE or FE model or entirely different?)
    3. Are there alternatives to those? What would be a good specification?

Thanks in advance,
    Katharina
    Last edited by Katharina Koe; 31 May 2018, 09:51.

On the issue of whether it is appropriate to use the (linear) fixed effects (FE) estimator when you have a fractional dependent variable, Papke and Wooldridge (2008) in the paper that you reference note:

It seems evident that, for estimating the marginal effect of a given percentage change in [the independent variable], the difference between linear and nonlinear models is not important
    In most empirical cases, the marginal effects are what we are interested in. Therefore, I don't see any reason for disregarding the FE estimator (with clustered standard errors for robust inference). Also note that the vast majority of empirical studies where the dependent variable is a fraction do use a linear estimator..

Reference.
    Papke E.L. and Wooldridge J.M. (2008). Panel data methods for fractional response variables with an application to test pass rates. Journal of Econometrics

Comment

Hi Andrew,
      many thanks for your reply!

It surprises me that the significance of the explanatory variables changes a lot (from regular xtreg, fe to xtgee). How do I make sense of that? Which significance is more "relevant"?

And regarding the marginal effects, after the -xtgee command, should I use the -margin command or interpret the values given in the output? The -margin commands yields much smaller effects.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

For comparison, the process is a little bit more involved. Leslie has the do files from the 2008 paper in her website, so you should download these and follow the procedure

http://econ.msu.edu/faculty/papke/index.php

Comment

Working...
        X