No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before and after test for binomial variables with few observations

Hello!

I have been struggling with what I thought was an easy problem for a while now.
    I am runing a before and after analysis for some binomial and categorical variables for which I am using a McNemar test since my data is paired. After doing some research I have been using the following code for both my binomial and my categorical variables:

Code:
    symmetry FruitT0 FruitT1, contrib exact trend
    However some of my 2x2 tables show that there are some empty cells and b + c <25, as far as I know, those variables should not be tested with a McNemar test. I have been doing some research and I can't seem to find the propper answer. In those cases my goal is to see if there are any differences in the number of people who have ever been diagnosed with let's say diabetes in year 1 vs year 2. Since the question says "Have you ever been diagnosed.." we will always have more people diagnosed in year 2 than in year 1 as someone who has been diagnosed cannot be undiagnosed and therefore cell b (or c depending how you look at it) will always be 0.
    Some people suggest the best approach is to use a binomial exact test
    Code:
    bitest Diab == 0.5
    while others suggest to use a logistic regression
    Code:
    melogit Diab i. Year || ID:
    However I don't think it quite means the same thing since.

So my question here is: what is the right approach in this case and why? and also is there also a better test for categorial variables?

Thank you very much!

Originally posted by Amaya de Cos View Post
    my goal is to see if there are any differences in the number of people who have ever been diagnosed with let's say diabetes in year 1 vs year 2. Since the question says "Have you ever been diagnosed.." we will always have more people diagnosed in year 2 than in year 1 as someone who has been diagnosed cannot be undiagnosed
    It seems like any question about NHST methods is moot. You've just said that your null hypothesis will always be false.

Comment

First of all, thank you Joseph Coveney for your reply.
      I am sorry, I don't think I expressed myself right. I meant to say that there will never be less people diagnosed not that there will always be more people. It can actually stay the same or just have 2 or 3 people diagnosed in year 2.
      I want to see if there is a significant increase on the people who have ever been diagnosed in year 2 vs year 1.
      I apoplogize for the confusion, I hope it's more clear now. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X