Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed-Effects Conditional Logit Model

I am fitting a fixed-effects conditional logistic model using panel data for 453 groups with a 0/1 outcome for each of 6 years. I ended up with a model with 10 predictors and a McFadden Pseudo R-square of 0.244. I was initially planning on using the Brier score but I am aware that with the FE logit, we cannot get predicted probabilities so how can I test if my model has a good predictability power? In other terms, what can I do with my model besides getting the Odds Ratios?

Any insight is appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Stephanie Atala; 20 May 2018, 21:26.

You'll increase your chances of a useful answer by following the FAQ on asking questions - provide Stata code in code delimiters, readable Stata output, and sample data using dataex.

" what can I do with my model besides getting the Odds Ratios?" - plotting predicted values is usually a good idea with logit.

xtlogit with fe will give you predicted probabilities - look at xtlogit postestimation in the documentation.

Comment

Thank you Phil Bromiley. I think the predicted probabilities given by Stata assume the fixed effects is 0. On another note, for a logit model to be valid, should the prediction from the model be better than a prediction done without the model (i.e., by looking at previous year outcomes without considering the predictors)?

Comment

With xtlogit, fe, and also clogit, the margins default is "pu0 - probability of a positive outcome assuming that the fixed effect is zero"

As to why that matters -- some day I am going to try to really really understand Steve Samuels' posts in the following thread. My key takeaway is that margins or predict after clogit or xtlogit,fe is NOT straightforward.

https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...-after-xtlogit

-------------------------------------------
        Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
        Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
        WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

Dear Stephanie,

Indeed there isn't much you can do with the output of the FE logit and certainly you cannot obtain meaningful predictions. See, however, here.

Best wishes,

Joao

Comment

Working...
          X