Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modify monthly scale on x axis

I need to modify the x-axis of this line plot so that the first value on the axis is 1928m1 and the last one is 1933m12, with a proper amount of intermediate values.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cattura.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1444775

I tried using the Graph Editor menu from the Graph window but I cannot insert letters in the boxes (e.g. values as 1928m1). Then I tried to use the values I got immediately after the ym function, which are, respectively for 1928m1 and 1933m12, -384 and -313. But now the problem is that I do not know which Delta value to insert because I can't compute the distance in time using this format.

Name:	Cattura2.PNG
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1444776

Does anybody have a suggestion? Ty

There are several ways to do this. Here's one I like. Using display as a calculator shows that the limits you want are -384 and -313. So use those values in an xsc(r()) option.

That's not the quickest or slickest way to do it, but it connects with what Stata sees at data level.

Code:
    . di ym(1928, 1)

. di ym(1933, 12)

Comment

Thanks Nick.

So the idea would be to run something like graph
      Code:
       twoway line typhus date, xsc(range(-384, -313)
      ?

In any case, how could I add other intermediate values on the axis?

Comment

You'd need an extra parenthesis. I wouldn't plot the graph as in #1. I would put years (only) in the middle of each year and ticks only at the end of each year.

Here's some technique:

Code:
        clear 
        set obs 72 
        gen mdate = ym(1927, 12) + _n 
        set seed 2803
        set scheme s1color
        gen whatever = runiform()

line whatever mdate, xla(`=ym(1928, 6) + 0.5'(12)`=ym(1933, 6) + 0.5', format(%tmCY) noticks) ///
        xtic(`=ym(1927, 12)+0.5'(12)`=ym(1933, 12)+0.5', tlength(*3)) xtitle("")

Name:	nicedate.png
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1444786

Comment

Thank you for your kind suggestion. Then to move the ticks, I would have to modify the option xtic, right?

Comment

Indeed. If you want them in a different place, you need to say where that is. I am interested to know where would be a better place.

Comment

Working...
            X