Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Calculations of Marginal Effects: Adjusted Predictions at Representative values (APR)

Hi All,
    // Stata-MP 14.2 - (user-written commands not possible)
    // Large, "very short" (N>>T) longitudinal data of firm employment and payroll

I'm well familiar with the -margins- command and the available resources, but still haven't been able to recreate the margins results based on adding up the coefficients. I've looked into the very helpful https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam/stats/Margins01.pdf, which provides example for the APM, MEM and AME but not for APR.
    Similarly, the Stata videos by Chuck Huber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43uX4D_7uaI also show hand calculations but not for this type.

size: categorical variable
    growth: discrete variable

Code:
    xtreg payroll c.growth##i.size if growth>0
    margins i.size, at(growth=(.1 .5 1))
    To replicate growth of .1 at size 2 I tried to alter the examples given by the aforementioned resources

Code:
    _b[growth]*.1+_b[2.size]+_b[2.size#growth]+_b[_cons]
    but despite numerous variations, to no avail. Does someone know how APR margins are calculated?

Best,
    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Thompson; 17 May 2018, 15:11.

Hi Jeff,
    I suspect that you do not get the same result as -marging- because you are not multiplying your interaction term _b[2.size#growth] by .1

Your code should thus be
    Code:
    _b[growth]*.1+_b[2.size]+_b[2.size#growth]*.1+_b[_cons] if e(sample)
    I've also added -if e(sample)-, this is important if you have other control variables.

Here an example that mirrors you case:
    Code:
    webuse nlswork, clear
    xtset idcode year

qui xtreg ln_wage i.race##c.hours if hours>20

margins race, at(hour=(40))

Adjusted predictions                            Number of obs     =     25,393
    Model VCE    : Conventional

Expression   : Linear prediction, predict()
    at           : hours           =          40

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 |            Delta-method
                 |     Margin   Std. Err.      z    P>|z|     [95% Conf. Interval]
    -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
            race |
          white  |   1.705663   .0072225   236.16   0.000     1.691508    1.719819
          black  |   1.562293   .0113957   137.09   0.000     1.539958    1.584628
          other  |   1.772997   .0575848    30.79   0.000     1.660133    1.885861
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. gen pw = _b[_cons]+_b[2.race]+_b[hours]*40+_b[2.race#hours]*40 if e(sample)
    (3,141 missing values generated)

. sum pw

Variable |        Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
    -------------+---------------------------------------------------------
              pw |     25,393    1.562293           0   1.562293   1.562293

sum pw

Best,
    Raffaele

Comment

Spot on! Yeah this worked. However adding a second categorical variable messes things up:

Code:
      xtreg payroll c.growth##i.size i.age if growth>0, re vce(cluster id)
      margins i.size, at(growth=(.1 .5 1))
      Do you know how it would be calculated here? I thought the e(sample) would have sorted this out but not really sure what it's function plays.

*Note: added ,re vce(cluster id)

Comment

If you add a further variable you have to take it into account also in your by-hand-calculation.
        Following on the previous example I add the var "collgrad"

Code:
        xtreg ln_wage i.race##c.hours i.collgrad if hours>20, re vce(cluster idcode)

margins race, at(hour=(40))

gen pw = _b[_cons]+_b[2.race]+_b[hours]*40+_b[2.race#hours]*40+_b[1.collgrad]*collgrad if e(sample)
        sum pw

Note that you were already estimating a -re-, which is the default.
        Also, the -vce(cluster id)- only affects standard errors.

Comment

Alright thanks! I tried this but didn't get them to add up. I may have to do with that _b[1.collgrad] is 0 because all other collgrad categories are in reference to it.

Sorry but I can't post the output due to copy/paste network restrictions all I have are the screenshots.

Code:
           xtreg payroll c.growth##i.size i.age if growth>0, re vce(cluster id)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 3.48.57 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1444878

Code:
          margins i.size, at(growth=(.25 .5))

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 3.58.13 PM.png
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1444881

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 3.58.34 PM.png
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1444880

The red box is the number I'm trying to recalculate by hand. gen s is where I tried your code. gen s2 is where I tried finding the mean of all of the coefficients for age and this got the number closer. However, it's not the same and I'm still not sure if it's just a coincidence. Do you have any idea why this could be?

Comment

Working...
          X