No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrumental Variable in Multilevel Analysis

Hi,

I’m using multilevel model exploring the impact of community factors on individual health (Y), thus using xtmixed and xtmelogit command in STATA. However two independent variables (X1, X2 ) are endogenous, and I have found two instrument variables (Z1, Z2) respectively.

My question is how to include instrumental variable analysis in multilevel model. Is there a command similar to ivreg in multilevel model in STATA?

And I have tried to do 2SLS manually in two steps, using instrumental variables (Z1, Z2) and exogenous variables to get the predict value of endogenous variables, and then using the fitted values to replace the endogenous variables. But the problem by doing so is that the standard errors for the coefficients in the second step is not valid. So what should I do with this?
    And in 2SLS, OLS are used in both two steps. however, MLE is used in xtmixed and xtmelogit, so in the manually done tow steps MLE is used rather than OLS. So I am wondering would cause any problem?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Lijian Zhao; 09 May 2018, 00:26.

Does anyone can provide help dealing with this problem? Thanks.

Comment

Is there a command similar to ivreg in multilevel model in STATA?
      If you have 2 levels, you may try - xtivreg - command.
      Best regards,

Marcos

Comment

I'm not sure if cmp does this. You can do it in gsem, but it is not simple.

Comment

Thanks Marcos and Phil.
          It seems xtivreg applies to panel data, while my data is hierarchical and there are different number of residents in each community. And I tried cmp, it runs very slowly.
          So I might decide to go with doing two stages manually, and use bootstrap to get valid standard errors.

Comment

Working...
          X