Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dyad.ado: simple creation of dyads

Thanks to Kit Baum, my little utility dyadid.ado is available on SSC.

The utility provides a lightweight way to create dyadic data where individual records in a data set can be linked to specific other records. A typical case would be creating spouse-pair dyads in data containing individual records grouped in households.

If id is the individual identifier, and spid is the ID of the individual's spouse, the following code will access the spouse's age and income:

Code:
    . dyadid id spid, gen(idx)
    . gen spage = age[idx]
    . gen spinc = inc[idx]
    It does nothing that you can't do by renaming and merging, but it is more convenient. See my blog for a discussion.

Apologies, dyadid.ado is a victim of permission problems.

I need to send a version to Kit to install that doesn't have restrictive permissions.

My guess is that SSC is a Unix site that expects Windows files. When it is fed Unix files with slightly different permssions, it doesn't notice.

I learnt this before, but the knowledge is encoded in a Makefile as a "chmod 604 $@" rule, but it left no mark in my conscious mind.

Anyone who's curiosity is overwhelming can find dyadid.ado at http://teaching.sociology.ul.ie/statacode

Brendan

Comment

I misdiagnosed the glitch. It was something minor, which Kit has kindly fixed. Now it should work.

Comment

Working...
      X